IGNORED

Dream Extras/Toys for the R1150RT

Michael_T

Okay, I am new to the R1150RT world and am very happy with the experience to date. So, what would it take to push it to the next level?

What I am getting to is "what is the best thing to add" to the bike in terms of performance, communications, radar, radio, etc.?

Thx

Okay, I am new to the R1150RT world and am very happy with the experience to date. So, what would it take to push it to the next level?

What I am getting to is "what is the best thing to add" to the bike in terms of performance, communications, radar, radio, etc.?

Thx

New shocks, Ohlins and Works seem to be the most popular, followed by Wilburs. The OEM suspension on beemers is the weakest link, change them and transform the handling.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

What I am getting to is "what is the best thing to add" to the bike in terms of performance, communications, radar, radio, etc.

The best bang for your buck is to upgrade the nut that connects the saddle to the handlebars. Give these guys a call and schedule a class.

After that, Andy's right...suspension is a good one.

Other than that...don't add/change anything unless you need to. Too many people get all caught up buying windshields, seats, electronics, etc because "that's what you NEED". Ride the bike and if there's something that you feel is lacking, upgrade that.

The one exception to that rule for me, is radar. The first thing I added to Lisa's bike, and to the CBR (When it was still a street bike), was a mount and wiring for my Valentine One . I often ride without using the AutoCom, iPod, GPS, FRS radio, XM, tank bag, etc. But I never ride without the V1.

Russell beat me to it; V1 may not be a "must have" for everybody, but it is for me. The V1 has saved me hundreds of bucks. Beyond that, I really appreciate my Autocom; I have my V1 piped through it, and without that audio indication of radar, I'd have missed a few. It's also really nice to have when my wife's on board (yes, really; we like yapping together while on the road).

Beyond that, the sky's the limit, but, generally I think 'less is more' (do as I say, not as I do tongue.gif).

When I bought my RT which was my first Bike ever.....

I went out on 300 mile 'day trips' always end up at home. I did this 4 or 5 times.

I learned something on each on each trip.

1. Comfort seat not good for me, Std seat much better.

2. Wind buffeting from stock windshield, Laminar Lip solved it

3. 300 miles no problem, all I need is gas.

After that I invested my $$$$ on quality riding gear (BMW brand) rather than 'toys'. Buy what you need not want 'cause you think you need it.

I agree with comments above though radar units are illegal down under so if caught they certainly wouldn't save me money.

I added a tank bag, taller wider tinted screen, front fender extender, GPS, pannier liners and a set of lambs wool seat covers. They were added because they enhance my riding pleasure or in the case of the fender extender it reduced cleaning time.

Get to know your bike through lots of riding and the things you need to change to improve will show themselves.

The best advice I got was ride it, go about 10k then see what you need. My idea of what I had to have changed about 6 times.

It's all still on the list but what to get first shifted over time from stuff for the bike to up grading my riding gear.

I found after 10K I needed to extend my range from 40s-80 degrees to 30-110 degrees to make the most of my riding.

That became the priority cool.gif

when i got (just) mine. i put on brighter bulbs, driving lights, led brakelight and adjusted the seat mount IAW data found on this site. i was able to further mod the seat adjustment with my own secret sauces and I added a bailey windscreen with laminar lip and a 1-up backrest and a throttle lock. sure wish it had cruise control...but i like the 04 lines better.

see tweak your ride...somewhere arouind here. i could probably go with better susp but i am still the weak link not it...AND i barely have 1k miles. i don't speed so i dont care about radar, i know where i go so i don't care about gps etc etc. i would just go with safety gear first, make sure you take (have taken) a riding course and gradually extendd your rides while you become comfortable.

enjoy your ride, be safe and get comfortable.

This is what I added to my 04 RT.

1. Hyper Lites ( LED rear brake lights)

2. Speed Bleeders for front and rear brake bleeders

3. Modify comfort seat so it is "comfortable"

4. Cee Bailey's windscreen. Euro Cut + 2 height, +2 width

with seat in middle position ( I am 5'7")

5. Givi top case

6. SS fairing screws

7. Added auxiliary running lights

8. Fabricated custom shelf for radar detector, GPS, etc.

9. Custom fairing bra made to protect fairing

The first (and most inexpensive) performance modification to make to either the 1100 or 1150RT is to install the intake tubes from the same-displacement GS. The tubes are longer and slightly smaller in diameter. They fill in a torque curve dip in the 3500-4000rpm range, making the bike much friendlier right in the range where people ride it most. The entire mod, including a couple of new O-rings that go between the throttle bodies and the intake tubes, runs about $60 and two hours of your time.

Thx to every one for their input. I am scheduling the class and putting in the miles at the posted speed limit,...as suggested.

Thx again,

MVT

Radar Detector. Check

Shelf For Radar Detector. Check

Driving lights , Check

The radar detector has saved me a couple of bucks.

Driving lights have too. I ride a 100 miles of Country Roads every day to get to and from work.

Other than that, a heated Vest for them Cold Mornings.

As far as Riding gear goes. I only wear what I need to keep warm. I don't wear any of that Beemer/Joe rocket preppy riding gear. But if you do thats fine.

If you didnt' seem me next to the bike you would think I had a Harley or in the summer ,fixin to get on a bicycle.

Some on here said it right

Ride it till you see something that needs changing to make the bike more you, Don't try to make it like everyone elses. If you think its needs Glowing Green lites under it and a Huge wing, go for it. But I will poke fun at ya for that one.

I ride mine so much , the only mods I been puttin on it lately whas been New Tires.

Enjoy the road and keep your eyes peeled , Them Cages are tryin to kill us off.

I've had my bike a little over a year and so far I've added:

Speed Bleeders

Kisan Signal Minder

Autoswitch

Piaa 1100x

EZY Shelf

HyperLights

Fat Foot

Sargent Seat

Garmin 2610

Crampbuster

Bob's wrist rest

Blue Sea Fuse box

Moto Technigues oil fill cap

Top Box

Autocom

Cee baily's Euro +2

BMR Shelf (removed)

Gadgeet Guy Mount

Wilber Shocks

XM MyFi

Sparky Foot Pegs

Becareful it is very addictive.

51416820-M.jpg

51416854-M.jpg

51417143-M.jpg

51417156-M.jpg

I know I will catch a lot of crap about this, dopeslap.gif but get rid of the stock catolytic converter and mufler. Go with a Stayintune exhaust, it generates a "tune you could dance to". While you won't gain much in the way of horsepower, you will loose a bunch of extra weight and the bike will run cooler. In the process of loosing about 6-7 kilos of scrap metal, you will gain added performance. Next, get yourself a Techlusion unit ($250.00) which will give you the ability to set up your fuel injection for performance rather than emission control. The head light on an RT costs about a zillion $$ and all it takes is one lousy rock to ruin your whole day. They make a nifty lexan cover that snaps over your head light glass and costs about $60-$70.00, better than a zillion. I have a friend who just happens to have an extra head light cover. <<<<<Softtail>>>. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

While you won't gain much in the way of horsepower, you will loose a bunch of extra weight and the bike will run cooler. In the process of loosing about 6-7 kilos of scrap metal, you will gain added performance.

Yeah...you'll lose about 20 lbs off an 800lbs bike. Oh...and it was 20lbs that's way down low where you hardly feel it anyway. Yeah...that's a great reason to spend all that money.

Look...if people are changing exhausts because they want to change the sound of the bike...that's fine. But please stop pretending that there are performance gains to be had there.

The bike will run cooler? Puhleeze.

The headlight cover is a good suggestion, though.

Theres a couple things that may be on my list after I get my gear sorted out.

XM radio, a small portable I can put in my pocket. With some kind of noise canceling head phones ? and maybe a top case, if I can get a deal on one.

Then I think I'll be set for a while. My RT is completely stock, except the Avon Azaros I just put on it. I kinda like it that way for now.

I'm sure that will change over time. Let me burn up a couple more sets of tires and I'll get back to you on that. grin.gif

PS: Those preppy beamer savana jackets ain't bad, you won't look like a Harley guy though smirk.gif

raysuf: May I ask you 3 questions:

1: What size wire are you using to power Blue Sea (10ga)?

2: Where did ya hide autocomm, now that Blue Sea is in tail.

3: What did you use to secure Blue Sea to tail.

DaveyMac

OK, so it does sound better, a little more throaty!! As for weight, a 20 pound reduction is significant, no matter where it is located, that is unless we are talking about tractors. Catolytic converters, why would anyone want an enclosed heat sink, that gets hotter than the hubs of hell, sitting under the motor. It has to add heat to the equation, and besides, the stock exhaust is just plain ugly!! <<<<<Softtail>>>>> dopeslap.gifclap.gifdopeslap.gifclap.gif

russell_bynum
OK, so it does sound better, a little more throaty!!

I agree.

As for weight, a 20 pound reduction is significant, no matter where it is located, that is unless we are talking about tractors.

Not really. It is a very small percentage of the weight of the bike/rider combination. And it is not in an important place on the bike. It is down really low, so it has little effect on the effort it takes to roll the bike. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that an empty topcase has more of a negative impact on the bike's handling than the catalytic converter does. Running the bike with the gas tank half-empty would give you the same weight savings, and it would be weight that's up much higher on the bike...and you still wouldn't be able to tell the difference. smile.gif

Catolytic converters, why would anyone want an enclosed heat sink, that gets hotter than the hubs of hell, sitting under the motor. It has to add heat to the equation,

So? Got any evidence that this heat actually makes any difference? I've seen oil analysis from RT transmissions and I've never seen any indication that the oil is getting too hot. The cat is directly under the transmission, so if something is going to suffer, it would logically be the transmission oil.

and besides, the stock exhaust is just plain ugly!!

OK, I can get behind that.

I'm not opposed to aftermarket exhausts (we have a Remus on Lisa's R1100RS)...but let's be honest with ourselves about why we install them: Looks and sound.

God, I love this forum! Ok, so maybe it is all about looks and sound!! At least you agreed with me on the ugly factor. <<<<Softtail>>>>> dopeslap.gifeek.gifdopeslap.gif

The wiring is 10 gauge.

The autocom is in the glove box. The accessory wires for the XM, GPS, and Cell phone where to short for me to install it in the tall. It was easier to lengthen the power cables.

51416871-M.jpg

There is still room in the tail for the autocom. I used mending bars, bolt and thumb screw to mount everything to the frame (holes were already in place). I used Dual Lock to hold the box to the support. Everything can be field stripped with no tools to access Motronic plug and tail lights. Factory tool kit might still fit in there.

51416846-M.jpg

When I bought my '04 R1150RT I had the low seat option, radio and topcase as options.

Two days later at my 600 mile service, I had a BMW High windshield fitted. I couldn't believe anyone actually rode it with the standard screen.

A month later after a ride down to Spain, I ordered a Rick Mayer saddle. I then bought some PIAA 910's and some "Tailbrights" (reflective stickers for the back of the panniers).

A short while later, after continuously getting lost on a holiday, a Garmin 2610 Gps followed.

Last year an Autocom system and some moulded earplugs with speakers.

Now with 41,000 miles on the clock the shocks are due for renewal.

So, you see, it's a gradual thing. You will soon know what is essential.

Archived