IGNORED

2004 R1150RT starter noise

Shane J.

My wife's bike when cold,the starter make's a light grinding noise when the starter button is released. Doesn't always do it and seldom when warm. Bike starts fine. Any advice?

Sounds like the starter's bendix is not pulling the starter gear back out of engagement quickly smoothly. Not uncommon; typically just accumulated dirt. Requires nothing more than pulling the starter out, removing the nose cone and cleaning/lubricating the mechanism. I did the same thing a couple months ago on my son's R100 and the release noise was gone.

As Mark mentions, this is a common condition and relatively easy fix. THIS DOCUMENT comes from the "M/C FAQ" page (tab in the top banner) in the "BMW R11xx Sticking Starter Service" sticky. It'll walk you through the procedure with picture goodness.

In addition to the cleaning, I find that gently stretching out the solenoid spring is helpful. I think it gets a little soft over time and a bit of extra spring compression helps on release of the starter button.

• 2 weeks later...

Used the same process for cleaning/lubing mine last Friday night. Got it done in less than an hour. 2nd time around for this job on my 72k 2004 RT.

Sounds like new again.

RPG

Archived