IGNORED

who made the R1100RL

Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

As some of you know I have a 2001 R1100RL. Does anyone know who produced this bike? Was it actually BMW or was it perhaps the importer combining parts and making their own limited edition bike. I have not found a single Official BMW add for the R1100RL.

Hey Matthew, lookie here. ;)

image.jpg1_zpsougdx1dw.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsx5ytujfv.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsdi5lzo53.jpg

Tim, you'd like what I saved from my RSL days. It's a giant advertisement book on just that one motorcycle. :thumbsup:

Pat

:Cool:

Sometimes I regret passing on all my airhead stuff when I sold my '80 RT back in '04.

Cases of stuff.

Glad some folks have more sense.

:wave:

Cases of stuff.

Glad some folks have more nonsense.

:wave:

Yup, had to dig pretty deep for that one.

And, I fixed your last statement. :dopeslap::grin:

Pat

Matthew Miller

So if I am correct this shows that the R1100RL is a model produced at the BMW Factory and rolled off the production line as is before reaching this country.

Matthew Miller

mainly because of the lack of information online and the BMW dealer could not give me any information it. They did not even know what size front wheel it had when I went to get a tire. Do you know how many 2001 R1100RL were made? Lots of them or just a few.

Matthew Miller

Oh yea, and another post told me that the BMW importers used to piece together various parts and make their own limited edition models.

Never heard that before but then again, my BMW experience only goes back to 1994.

Sounds more like an enthusiastic dealership may have done something like that.

Pat

Never heard that before but then again, my BMW experience only goes back to 1994.
Butler & Smith, the U.S. importer before BMW AG established its own U.S. motorcycle import arm, would do that to help move stock.
As some of you know I have a 2001 R1100RL. Does anyone know who produced this bike? Was it actually BMW or was it perhaps the importer combining parts and making their own limited edition bike. I have not found a single Official BMW add for the R1100RL.

The bike is a R1100R with a few cosmetic differences. Apart from the wire wheels, chrome heads and tank/tank fairing it is exactly the same as the basic R.

Stop worrying and enjoy one of the best oilheads made.

Andy

Matthew Miller

please don't mistake my questions for being concerned. I absolutely love the bike. My questions are just for my curiosity. I am the kind of person that likes to learn everything I can about the things that I love. I am looking forward to putting hundreds of thousands of miles on this bike. In September I am going to the Green Mountain BMW Rally in Goshen Vermont. I have never been to a BMW rally before, although I have done Americade in Lake George NY with my 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador for the day.

Glenn Reed
So if I am correct this shows that the R1100RL is a model produced at the BMW Factory and rolled off the production line as is before reaching this country.

In reading the last paragraph on page 35 of the booklet Pat posted - "All 2001 R 1100 Rs are limited edition models in lustrous black paint with white pinstriping arching across the tank. Chrome plated head covers and patented cross-spoked wheels add sparkle. And the spoked wheels accept tubeless tires - a BMW exclusive. All in all, it's a classic edition of BMW's most classic model."

So from a dealer perspective, what you have is a 2001 R 1100 R. In looking at the parts fiche on the Max BMW site, there is no selection to differentiate the RL from the R, but in a cursory glance, some of the RL specific parts were listed. Specifically, there were alloy and spoked wheels, for instance.

Since the parts guy may not have been at the dealer for 15 years, he may not know that, and you'll have to guide him.

Like I said.

Its a BMw.

Made by BMW to pay homage to the classic BMW roadster from days of yore.

Decades ago almost all BMW's looked like that.

Best wishes. :wave:

Archived