IGNORED

Need help identifying long bolt, accidentally removed. Now what?

Sullyman

I mistakenly removed this long bolt on my R1150RT, and now I can't get it back in. It is on left side of engine, just below back side of cylinder. Could someone tell me what this is & any suggestions on how to get it reinstalled? I don't know what to do now. I would greatly appreciate any guidance.

Afternoon Sullyman

Your picture doesn't work (you have to host the picture on a separate web site then link to that URL for it to work)

What direction does the bolt run? -fore/aft or crosswise?

Stan Walker

If its in a little recessed area on the side of the engine just below and to the rear of the cylinder it's one of many bolts that hold the two halves of the engine together. There is another one about 1 inch directly above it also in a recessed area.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't go back in unless you have undone lots more bolts just like it.

What were you trying to achieve?

Stan

Stan Walker

By the way, if that is indeed the bolt you removed they require a special torqueing technique. There is an initial torque applied, then it is rotated a specified number of degrees. All this on an oiled thread.

More details coming once we id the bolt for sure.

The bolt I'm talking about is an M10 x 100.

Stan

Stan Walker

If that is the correct bolt there is a washer. If that is still in the recessed area perhaps it is interfering with the bolt insertion.

Just a way wild shot in the dark......

Stan

Curious to know what bolt?

What were you trying to access when removing the bolt (just to help others not to do the same thing).

So, Sullyman took his bike to a dealer to get it sorted.

His response is on BMWMOA site:

Thanks everyone! I trailered the bike off to the shop yesterday to get this fixed, without attempting to start the engine. I appreciate your help.

Archived