IGNORED

Mounted Michelin PR 4 using zip ties

Sliplake

Removed both tires with tire spoons. Mounted new tire on front the same way. Decided to try mounting the rear tire using zip ties I had on hand. Used 8 ties and cinched the ties until the two ends of the tire almost touched. Also applied a liberal dose of tire mount spray. I was pleasantly surprised with how much easier it was to mount, especially since It was the rear tire. Once the ties were on, I mounted it on the rim in about a minute.

Removed both tires with tire spoons. Mounted new tire on front the same way. Decided to try mounting the rear tire using zip ties I had on hand. Used 8 ties and cinched the ties until the two ends of the tire almost touched. Also applied a liberal dose of tire mount spray. I was pleasantly surprised with how much easier it was to mount, especially since It was the rear tire. Once the ties were on, I mounted it on the rim in about a minute.

Interesting. Are you saying that the ties "closed the mouth" of the tire so to speak to assist in keeping it the middle of the wheel ?

If so, you spooned on BOTH sides at the same time ?

Anything to make mounting stiff sided tyres like the GT's easier I am all ears.

Steve

what video are you referring to? Not clear how this works as I am not visualizing how the zip ties work....sure would appreciate any guidance available.

Where do I find these "two ends of the tire"?

Interesting. Are you saying that the ties "closed the mouth" of the tire so to speak to assist in keeping it the middle of the wheel ?

If so, you spooned on BOTH sides at the same time ?

Anything to make mounting stiff sided tyres like the GT's easier I am all ears.

Steve

Yes, cinch ties until both sides meet. Use a good tire mount spray. I didn't use the tire spoons, rather just kept working the edges of the tire around the rim until it dropped in. Wasn't sure how these low profile tires would work, but all went well.

I tried it once with a Dunlop Q3. I'm probably too used to the 'conventional' way of mounting a tire to use the zip-tie method. If it worked for you, congrats!

Archived