IGNORED

Floppy Body Panel Syndrome- '14 RT

hopz

Hello friends...

Beemerboy and I went to the UN-Rally in Warrens, WI. While crossing the country on I-90 in South Dakota we pleasantly encountered 80 mph speed limits... nice. Shortly before our motel stop I noticed the body panel on the upper right side was flapping in the wind.

I mean that sucker was really moving a lot. This is the panel you remove to get to the Coolant jug, and to do other things. I have never removed it. There are two 25mm screws under the lower edge of the panel. Some unknown thing is "supposed" to attach the top of that panel to the bike. Cannot see what that "thing" is.

The panel in question is the one with the BMW badge on it and the chrome trim.

Called the dealer as soon as we got settled in the room. No help there except they would be happy to look at it when I returned home. The first thing I did after getting back is take it to the dealer. Service guy had no idea about anything related to this issue, but they will look at it when I take the bike in to have them look at the continuing issue of coolant blow-out.

Would appreciate hearing from any of you who have removed that panel and let me hear how the panel is supposed to be attached on top.

Rather than let it flap at highway speeds I got three pieces of tape from the front desk lady. Curiously those little strips held tight for the next 2000 miles... ugly but effective.

Thoughts?

Same thing happened to my '14RT, except mine was caused my the local BMW Service Tech who wasn't careful during my first annual service. There are two tangs (tabs) molded into the top of the side panels. They fit into a couple of molded slots, openings, holes, whatever you call them, on the right side of the upper panel. The tech wasn't careful and snapped off one of the tabs. I didn't notice it for a couple of weeks. When I returned to bike, he admitted that he "probably did it during the service, but didn't notice". Regardless, they ordered a new side panel, as the tab can not be easily or securely repaired with JB Weld, and replaced it at no cost to me. I hope this helps. Regardless, from now on I will take the bike back to the shop where I bought it from, even if it is 110 miles further away.

Shortly before our motel stop I noticed the body panel on the upper right side was flapping in the wind.

I mean that sucker was really moving a lot. This is the panel you remove to get to the Coolant jug, and to do other things. I have never removed it. There are two 25mm screws under the lower edge of the panel. Some unknown thing is "supposed" to attach the top of that panel to the bike. Cannot see what that "thing" is.

In this video removal of every screw/stud/tab on the left and right side panels is shown:

I'm wondering from your description whether the two T25 screws at the indie front edge of the panel are missing, too.

Sorry to say the video does not show either removal nor installation of the panel in question.

Yes, the two screws are still in place.. the first thing I checked...

Tabs? I guess that somewhere along the way mine got broken off. I know I didn't do it.

There is also a push pin. I think what happen is the panel was removed and not replaced correctly, easy to do. The taps hold the top in place which must me where it was flapping since you still have the screws holding the front leading edge of the panel.

Good luck dealing with the dealer

Jay

thanks on the video referral. I was unsure if the right side was the same the left...

So far the dealer has not indicated an issue but they are pretty busy so he did not look into the problem today.

Said they will get to me later...

Taking the panel off and replacing takes just a few minutes. All you need to know are the taps and pin still present, if not you'll need a new panel.

A good service writer would of fixed this or told you need a new panel when you rode in.

Jay

I'll bet they broke off the tabs when they did the last service.

Happened to me as well. But the Tech admitted it straight away. (he really had no choice), as I had warned them at the 1st service to be careful with those panels as the word was out on the Internet that they could easily be broken if handled careless.

As you haven't touched the bike, you should have no issue to get it replaced under warranty.

FWIW, I broke of one of the tabs on my panel last fall. VERY easy to do. I don't think that it's the best design. Lesson learned.

A new panel costs about $350.

BarryBeemer

I also broke the forward tab when reinstalling the right panel for the first time. Remember the tabs on the earlier RTs? These are about half the thickness....sooooo easy to break. Thanks to Rob L in Indiana, I epoxied a small piece of bent metal stock in place of the missing plastic tab. It really does the job...not a perfect fit and finish, but neither are some other factory pieces on the bike. Yes, a replacement panel is in the neighborhood of $300.

As for the "push pin"....there are two of them. They must be aimed perfectly to avoid deforming the rubber grommets they go into. Lots of "technique" involved to getting a good fit.

They definitely did not make it easy for us. Good luck!!!

Archived