IGNORED

R12RT as my second bike?

MattyJ

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum and I'm finding a lot of great information! Thank you all.

So I used to ride dirt bikes as a kid in Vermont, and I really loved it. Now that I'm an adult, I wanted to get back into riding. I wanted to do it right so I read a few books "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" then I took the basic riders course and got my "M" on my license... So far so good. Then it came time for the bike purchase... I so love the look of the R12RT and thought how much fun it would be... But all I read said I should start small, log miles then graduate to a bigger bike. It was very difficult for me... I settled on a used Honda CBR 500 R, it's as close to a sport touring bike and beginner bike as I could stand. I got a really good price on it, and I've been riding it now for a month here in Texas. I've put 500 miles on it and it's a lot more fun than I thought it would have been. I ride in off hours with little traffic on mildly twisty roads, I work on my counter stearing, leaning, front and rear breaking, smooth shifting, etc... I'm becoming a much better rider in the little time I've been on the bike. I'm also getting a bit itchy for bike with a little more wind protection, more comfort and a few creature comforts (like music?). I also want to take the bike on weekend trips, I don't feel I could do this on my current bike. So here's my question to you folks, who have so many more hours and years under your belt. Is the R12RT a reasonable bike to graduate to in 6 to 9 more months (if I can hold out that long?). And I was thinking I would purchase new when the time comes, I don't know the wisdom of purchasing a new bike as my second bike, so any thoughts here would be appreciated. Is there a minimum amount of miles/hours you recommend to put on a beginners bike before moving up? Is the weight/power that much of a difference? I'm also looking for support to not go and buy a new bike before its right...

So far riding has been a blast, and I love it. Many thanks, Matt

On whether to buy new, I wouldn't -- to much fear of damage and other concerns.

My suggestion would be to buy a used R12RT, like a 2007-2008. Gives you a chance to see whether you like an RT-style bike for a lot less money, and you can sell it without a huge depreciation loss. You can always move to a new RT (a substantially different bike, BTW) if/when you become comfortable with the weight and handling of a hexhead R12RT.

EDIT: I suggest an R12RT instead of an R1100RT/R1150RT because the R12RT is more like a new R12RTW than an R11xxRT is, and the R11xxRT is heavier. Not disparaging the R11xxRT, I have one ('04). I just believe you'd be better off with a newer (less maintenance/repair worries)/lighter R12RT.

And you may find you like the older R12RT and stick with it -- there's an older and a newer RT in my garage because my wife found she liked the older R12RT ('12) better than the RTW ('15).

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum and I'm finding a lot of great information! Thank you all.

So I used to ride dirt bikes as a kid in Vermont, and I really loved it. Now that I'm an adult, I wanted to get back into riding. I wanted to do it right so I read a few books "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" then I took the basic riders course and got my "M" on my license... So far so good. Then it came time for the bike purchase... I so love the look of the R12RT and thought how much fun it would be... But all I read said I should start small, log miles then graduate to a bigger bike. It was very difficult for me... I settled on a used Honda CBR 500 R, it's as close to a sport touring bike and beginner bike as I could stand. I got a really good price on it, and I've been riding it now for a month here in Texas. I've put 500 miles on it and it's a lot more fun than I thought it would have been. I ride in off hours with little traffic on mildly twisty roads, I work on my counter stearing, leaning, front and rear breaking, smooth shifting, etc... I'm becoming a much better rider in the little time I've been on the bike. I'm also getting a bit itchy for bike with a little more wind protection, more comfort and a few creature comforts (like music?). I also want to take the bike on weekend trips, I don't feel I could do this on my current bike. So here's my question to you folks, who have so many more hours and years under your belt. Is the R12RT a reasonable bike to graduate to in 6 to 9 more months (if I can hold out that long?). And I was thinking I would purchase new when the time comes, I don't know the wisdom of purchasing a new bike as my second bike, so any thoughts here would be appreciated. Is there a minimum amount of miles/hours you recommend to put on a beginners bike before moving up? Is the weight/power that much of a difference? I'm also looking for support to not go and buy a new bike before its right...

So far riding has been a blast, and I love it.

Morning Matt

It depends on you, your size, & your riding expertise.

I know some riders that were better riders at 2 weeks experience than others that have been riding for years & years.

The bigger & stronger you are as a rule the quicker you will adjust to a new heavier bike. Not that smaller riders can't handle the 1200RT (WC) but barely reaching the ground, or weak legs, make transitioning to a bigger/heavier bike more of a challenge.

By the sound of your post above it sounds like you are quickly outgrowing your present CBR 500R so maybe a 1200RT (WC) is in your near future.

Best suggestion I can give you is to visit your local BMW motorcycle dealer & sit on a 1200RT (WC), if it feels OK to you then take a test ride on one.

Unlike a lot of motorcycle dealers most BMW dealers have demo bikes for potential customers to ride around & see what fits them.

After some more seat time, you might look around for a rental.

There are sites you can ride an RT.

Archived