IGNORED

Bad Gas 2003 1150RT

mark1234

I have in my possession a2003 1150rt that was sitting for 2 years without being started. What should I do before I Turn the Key? I Don't want to cause more problems with it and I know the Gas must be bad. I know how to pull the Gas tank but do I need to do anything else with the fuel injectors, etc. to aid in my success?

Any Help would be a blessing

I have in my possession a2003 1150rt that was sitting for 2 years without being started. What should I do before I Turn the Key? I Don't want to cause more problems with it and I know the Gas must be bad. I know how to pull the Gas tank but do I need to do anything else with the fuel injectors, etc. to aid in my success?

Morning Mark

Depends on how bad the gasoline is & how far into the system it has degraded into varnish.

Personally I would start by opening the fuel tank cap & simply sniffing. If the gasoline smells skunky then you know what you are dealing with.

Next, remove the tank & completely drain it then flush it out. (if it was skunky inside keep cleaning/flushing until it is

decent smelling & varnish free inside.

If gunk found or really bad smelling inside then also replace the in tank fuel filter NOW. (see hose & filter replacement below)

Then put tank back on & put a couple of gallons of fresh gasoline in the tank, also put some Techron concentrate in the tank.

Next, remove fuse #5 for about 30 seconds then do a new TPS re-learn (it's in your riders manual under battery install)

Now see if it will start & idle, if so then allow to run for a while (caution don't run at fast idle or idle for long periods without putting a couple of fans blowing on front of engine)

If it starts good & idles decently then a good chance your fuel injectors are probably OK .

Now the important part-- before putting it back together & especially before venturing far from home I would recommend that you install a new in-tank fuel filter & replace all the tank internal hoses. Those in-tank hoses (especially the U shaped high pressure hose are notorious for rupturing on older BMW 1100/1150's & leaving you stranded.

Look in the archives here (use search function) & you will find LOTS of cases of in-tank fuel hose issues.

roger 04 rt

+1 to all DR's comments.

And while you're servicing the tank hoses make certain, if you have a charcoal canister in the tank vent, that the hoses inside and outside the tank are routed correctly and that air passes through that system easily.

Archived