IGNORED

Tires for RT

Twisties

Got two sets to buy. Compared the years when between the two of us we've run through 7-8 pairs, I'm embarrassed to note that both sets of these PR3's went on the bikes in 2013.

Sharon put hers on before we set out on a month long ride in October 2013 and she went to Louisiana and Arkansas and back. Not sure where else she rode, but she has 7921 miles on them.

Mine went on during the same trip, at David and Jean Hanson's in Lousiana. They went out to JAX, then back. We didn't get an exact mile recorded because the change was on the road, but I think they have about 7k miles.

These are fairly average miles for us. I think we must have busted through 7-8 sets of PR2's with basically the same miles.

I am impressed with the handling, the wear characteristics (maintaining profile, comfortable, predictable ride with minimal degradation in ride quality from new), and the grip, but maybe not enough so to spend the extra for PR3's vs PR4's.

Both sets can go a little more, but it is probably time to order in replacements. Long story short, a bewildering array of new choices are available.

I'll consider other brands if they are cheaper and as good, but have been pretty satisfied with the Michelins. I can get PR2's if I am remembering right for about $250, PR3's for about $290 and PR4's for about $305. I didn't even know there was a GT so I haven't priced that.

I don't even know where to begin with the other brands.

I checked back a few months in this forum and the reviews forum, but didn't see any recent tire discussions other than the PR3 and PR4GT reviews. It's probably about like oil, but what are you running, how do you like them, and how would you rate their value?

but maybe not enough so to spend the extra for PR3's vs PR4's

That should have read

but maybe not enough so to spend the extra for PR3's vs PR2's

First post , long time RT rider. Been using up Roadsmart 2's. Just put another set on the RT. Love them love them love them.

For me, the single greatest bang-for-your-buck is the Dunlop RoadMax Roadsmart 2, with a 170/16-17 going for only $126.88 at Chaparral Motorsports with free shipping. The front is only $103.88 for a 120/70-17. I've got one on the rear of my bike and am completely happy. I've not worn it out yet so I can't speak to mileage but I'm totally happy otherwise and the reviews I've read seem to be very favorable. Dunlop's website lists tread depth at 9/32 (just over 7mmm) and it now has over 5mm left with about 2,000 miles on it. It uses advanced manufacturing and materials including a harder compound in the center and softer on the edges to optimize tread life and performance.

If you're going for sheer low-cost-but-decent, the ridiculously low priced Continental ContiMotion is only $81.97 for the rear and $64.97 for the front and gets surprisingly good reviews. I have this tire on the front but opted for the Dunlop on the rear because I wanted (theoretically) more durability and mileage on the back. That tire has 7,500 miles on it and 2.5mm remaining in the center and 3.0mm on the edge. To me the Continental has just been a great value.

Though I have no personal experience with them, I remember on the trip to Weaverville last month Don was using Shinkos and said he was totally happy with them and you really can't beat the price.

First post , long time RT rider. Been using up Roadsmart 2's. Just put another set on the RT. Love them love them love them.

Welcome to the board! Please post an intro in the Motorcycle Talk forum.

CoarsegoldKid

Jan, Cycle World mag tells us that the PR4s are 17% better traction on wet and 20% better longevity. They do cost a bit more but might be worth it. After going through D606 and D908 knobbies the way I have off-road on a much lighter bike they're cheap by comparison.

Jan, Cycle World mag tells us that the PR4s are 17% better traction on wet and 20% better longevity. They do cost a bit more but might be worth it. After going through D606 and D908 knobbies the way I have off-road on a much lighter bike they're cheap by comparison.

I ordered two sets of PR4's and a set of Battlewings (for one of the Super Teneres) today. Should be here Wednesday. I'll believe a tire lasts longer when I see it. The wet stopping and in particular slick surface stopping seems worth a few extra $$'s in this environment.

Archived