IGNORED

Final drive

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly

Hi all

please could I have some advice regarding final drives. I need to replace my failed unit and getting a replacement r1100s one seems very difficult. Are other R model final drive's compatible. They look the same and have the same fittings and I know the gearing is different but would I be able to fit an r1100rt to the r1100s!

Thanks for looking

Afternoon Peter

Depends-- What year R1100S?

Does your R1100S have ABS brakes? If so then your speedometer drives off a sensor in the final drive & the 11xxRT or 11xxR doesn't have that sensor or even a hole for it.

What is wrong with your final drive, it might be easier to repair yours.

Peter Kelly

It's a 2002. Non abs. The input shaft is knackered and my mechanic feels the cheapest option is to replace the unit with a used part,if I could find one!

It's a 2002. Non abs. The input shaft is knackered and my mechanic feels the cheapest option is to replace the unit with a used part,if I could find one!

Evening Peter

Does your current final drive have a speed sensor (see picture)

1100S%20final%20drive_zps9ipbejgr.jpg

The input shaft to the final drive is knackered? That's not a typical failure. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of one. Are you sure he's not talking about the input shaft to the transmission?

Peter Kelly

Basically a gorilla as tried to remove the castellated nut with a punch and hammer. My mechanic has remove the nut with the right tool but the thread is ruined and we don't think locally it can be rethreaded. I need a relatively quick fix as its my only form of transport

That's the one. Thanks for helping

Morning Peter

OK, that is for your speedometer pick-up sensor so a regular RT or R bike final drive won' work in your (S) bike if you want a working speedometer.

Peter Kelly

Thanks for all the input I've managed to get a direct replacement from motorworks. They sell new and used parts. Much relieved,when I get the old unit back I will try and post some pics

thanks again

Peter Kelly

Final got the new drive unit sorted and bike is back on the road.

just to pass on the info. The socket kd 2467 works a treat to remove the castlelatted nut off.

Archived