IGNORED

Pogo Stick

Gregori

So I just ordered an adult sized pogo stick - it's my Father's Day present.

Apparently this stick allows you to get up to 8 ft of bounce (and set the world record of over 10 ft)

I stumbled on a YouTube video of these things, and my discretion and good sense left the room...

Link: Vurtego Extreme Pogo Vurtego Extreme Pogos.

I bought a skateboard in Key West 2 years ago in a drunken stupor for my 50th birthday, channeling my best Jeff Spicoli voice during the entire purchase negotiation. I got upsold and paid top dollar, and my wife has not let me ride it since that fateful evening.

I honor your purchase.

Nope, my unicycle is crazy enough for me...

You just can't throw that out there.....pics or didn't happen.

The Rocketman

A few years ago, on Memorial Day, my wife decided to play with the kids' pogo stick. One broken arm, a pretty pink cast, and several thousand dollars in medical bills later, that pogo stick went into the trash.

Remember "ATGATT". :)

Cathys%20Cast_zpsyesmpnrj.jpg

Can't make this up.......

You just can't throw that out there.....pics or didn't happen.

Then a lot of things in my life didn't happen! :rofl:

Joe Frickin' Friday

You're bringing it to the Un, right????

I haven't figured how to mount it to the RT! :rofl:

I had a luggage rack on the back of my Fiat 128 when a buddy and I took a cross country trip during college, that made it much easier...

that pogo stick went into the trash.

It's not the pogostick's fault ;)

Did her arm have that serpentine shape BEFORE she fell off?

:D

My pics (and/or video) will be coming once the thing arrives - it's probably 2 weeks waiting... Feels like christmas!

You might want to get your Chiropractor's number on speed dial....

Good luck and be careful - we don't want to hear about how you lost your riding season, because you have a new S shaped cast on your arm. (that is a really weird looking picture!)

The Rocketman

I don't know why it looks that way. I know she has a steel plate with some hardware in there keeping it all together. And I'm certain her arm isn't that shape today.

I haven't figured how to mount it to the RT! :rofl:

I had a luggage rack on the back of my Fiat 128 when a buddy and I took a cross country trip during college, that made it much easier...

Remember these?

143466228480.jpg

1969 Ran like stink. My wife had a lead foot when she was driving that car. We moved from S. IL to Columbus, GA with a roof rack, our possessions in the back, and our 3 month old son on her lap on a pillow. We were young and dumb.

FIAT Fix It Again Today. :rofl:

A few years ago, on Memorial Day, my wife decided to play with the kids' pogo stick. One broken arm, a pretty pink cast, and several thousand dollars in medical bills later, that pogo stick went into the trash.

Can't make this up.......

Ouch! RM that hurts just looking at the pic. :cry:

Mine was much less aerodynamic... :rofl:

Not mine, but this is what it looked like:

IMG_0686.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So the silly pogo stick showed up today - and it turns out this is a lot more work than I remember! My first time on a pogo stick since I was about 13 or 14 years old, I don't think I did TOO badly...

Video link:

Wow - So after posting my adventure with my second hand pogo stick on Facebook earlier - I got an email from the company that they're releasing a new version through Indiegogo. And they're running a contest for the next 2 weeks that whomever can get the most visitors to come look at their campaign will win a new one. (The top 3, actually...) (No need to buy anything - just follow the link and check it out.)

Please visit their campaign via this link, and help me get a new one!

Please follow this link to take a peek, and help me win: Vurtego V4

(Mods - I looked through the rules and didn't see anything prohibiting this? Please delete the post if it's a violation of the forum guidelines...)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

So glad you posted this. I saw an ad for an advanced pogo stick and thought how cool this would be for fitness as well as fun. Are you having fun with this and is your skill level improving with experience? Any advice in considering such a purchase?

I bought a Vurtego V3 (just superseded by the V4 which I linked above.)

This thing is a ton of fun, and DEFINITELY a conversation starter at 4th of July parties. Trust me!

After a little practice, the balance part of it is a breeze, and from that perspective I could jump on the thing endlessly. Its basically a kids toy, after all - how hard can it be?! However - it's a serious workout, and after couple of minutes on it, I am ready for a lay down in the grass...

Advice:

I did a little bit of research (okay - a lot of it) before my purchase, and it became evident to me that of the adult sized options, the Vurtego was the best choice. I had a chance to try a Flybar, and an x-games something or other, and the feel and performance was day and night against the V3. It sure looks like the V4 is a quantum leap (ahem) ahead of the V3.

I will also tell you that the sizing advice they have on their web site is spot on. I used a 'large' and it was far more difficult to use than the 'medium' which is what I am now using.

You WILL fall off when learning - just be willing to let go of the thing and drop it, and you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

So wear a helmet at a minimum, and rollerblading elbow protective cups aren't a bad idea, either.

Good luck, and happy bouncing!

Years ago, when I was at Cycle World, someone brought us a fuel-powered pogo stick. It had an external spring, but internally it had a piston going up through a cylinder to a combustion chamber. There was a glow plug sticking out the side of the main tube, and a switch up at the handle that would power the glow plug from a set of D cells inside the top of the tube. Carburetion was basically an open intake port and a fuel line from a tiny fuel tank attached to the front of the tube. There was an adjustment screw (think two-stroke model airplane motor technology). Exhaust was also an open port. I burned the hair off my lower leg more than once when it would spit a long flame out. We learned to use it wearing jeans.

Ignition was hit and miss. If you just let it fire you up into the air about 8-10 inches and rode it gently, it would fire almost every time. If you really tried to get some altitude, it would fire every third or fourth or fifth time, but when it did, it was with the accumulated fuel from previous misfires and whoa baby, did it ever launch you (plus aforementioned exhaust flame). The problem was, you never knew for sure when that launch was gonna take place. If your legs weren't ready, it would shoot upward, hit your chin and make you see stars. The thing was fun, but it was also so dangerous we gave it back before any of us who tested motorcycles at our personal limits for a living, got hurt.

If memory serves, this kind of looked like it:

Fuel%20Powered%20Pogo%20Stick-XL.jpg

So the silly pogo stick showed up today - and it turns out this is a lot more work than I remember! My first time on a pogo stick since I was about 13 or 14 years old, I don't think I did TOO badly...

Video link:

Were the socks extra or did they come with the stick? :wave:

Years ago, when I was at Cycle World, someone brought us a fuel-powered pogo stick. It had an external spring, but internally it had a piston going up through a cylinder to a combustion chamber. There was a glow plug sticking out the side of the main tube, and a switch up at the handle that would power the glow plug from a set of D cells inside the top of the tube. Carburetion was basically an open intake port and a fuel line from a tiny fuel tank attached to the front of the tube. There was an adjustment screw (think two-stroke model airplane motor technology). Exhaust was also an open port. I burned the hair off my lower leg more than once when it would spit a long flame out. We learned to use it wearing jeans.

Ignition was hit and miss. If you just let it fire you up into the air about 8-10 inches and rode it gently, it would fire almost every time. If you really tried to get some altitude, it would fire every third or fourth or fifth time, but when it did, it was with the accumulated fuel from previous misfires and whoa baby, did it ever launch you (plus aforementioned exhaust flame). The problem was, you never knew for sure when that launch was gonna take place. If your legs weren't ready, it would shoot upward, hit your chin and make you see stars. The thing was fun, but it was also so dangerous we gave it back before any of us who tested motorcycles at our personal limits for a living, got hurt.

Maybe BMW could make an updated version with fuel injection and active suspension! :grin:

Hi Greg,

So glad you posted this. I saw an ad for an advanced pogo stick and thought how cool this would be for fitness as well as fun. Are you having fun with this and is your skill level improving with experience? Any advice in considering such a purchase?

No! This is NOT for fitness! Do NOT try to make anything logical or sensible (or teleological) out of what deserves to be maintained in the realm of pure whimsy.......if not insanity!

Fernando, This reminds me of something else, connected in an odd sort of way, to Cycle World. A short humor article of theirs that I remember from the '60s describing a 1200 cc single-cylinder bike. It proceeded in a series of ten-foot leaps....

Archived