IGNORED

For the pilots

1springer

Interesting to see Vietnam buying an American airliner..you'd think they would have gone with Airbus.

With enough airspeed, energy and low weight loading, most airplanes can pull near vertical for at least a short time.

Notice the pilot pulled out of the climb as airspeed dropped.

aggieengineer

Keep in mind that the camera was in a fast-moving plane flying horizontally, and that the airliner was tracking nearly directly toward the camera. Steep, but not close to vertical.

One of the hazards of getting slow at high power settings in a plane of that configuration is that the elevator loses effectiveness and the engine thrust tend to rotate the aircraft to an ever-higher nose up condition. No bueno.

Joe Frickin' Friday

to level off (to be fair, he started with a bit more speed).
aggieengineer

The USAF aptly demonstrated the folly of low-level airshow maneuvers in big planes. They put a KC-135, B-52, and C-17 in the dirt. There are combinations of planes and pilots suited to such low altitude work, and sadly, some who only think they are.

I've flown civilian, military, airline, and spent a lot of time upside-down, but I consider myself smart enough to leave big margins in case something goes wrong. I watch the youtube videos of these airliner demos and wonder what some of the pilots are thinking. Bob Hoover they are not.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The USAF aptly demonstrated the folly of low-level airshow maneuvers in big planes. They put a KC-135, B-52, and C-17 in the dirt. There are combinations of planes and pilots suited to such low altitude work, and sadly, some who only think they are.

Not sure what to say about the C-17 crash, but the pilot in the

had a history of reckless flying and was breaking the rules regarding bank angle and altitude - by a large margin - the day he crashed.

It seems to me that any flight where you are operating outside of the established safety rules is courting disaster.

to level off (to be fair, he started with a bit more speed).

I would love to ride as a passenger in that. Too bad the pilot would be unemployed if he tried that in a scheduled airliner.

IIRC, NASA has a parabola ride in a 707 for regular citizens. It's called the Vomit Comet or something like that.

aggieengineer

You can do it if you like.

http://www.gozerog.com/

For a lot less money, you may be able to get one of your friends with a small plane to give you zero-g for a few seconds at a time. I used to float my son out of his seat when he was little. He would giggle endlessly. Great fun.

A friend took a cat along while doing that one time. Unfortunately, the cat was able to anchor to his shoulder.

Archived