IGNORED

Northern California Hwy 70 Question - for the end of June

Duane n Oregon

Duane n Oregon

At the end of June a friend and I will be staying in Quincy, CA for two nights, and will spend the day in between making a big loop. As of now, our route goes east from Quincy on 70, turns into 89, then back west on 49.

My question regards our road going back north. I mapped out Oroville-Quincy Hwy to Bucks Lake Rd to Big Creek Rd. It looks good and hopefully not too much traffic on a Monday. But I've been checking out Hwy 70, and it looks good too!

I hope someone really knows the area and can advise which is a better fit. We love sweepers and twisties and light (no!) traffic. Any advice?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I've had to make more than one "U-turn and quite the ride" moves on Hwy 70 west of Quincy and also on Hwy 89 due to road construction and verrrrrry long traffic stoppage waits.

Beautiful country. Just ruins your day sitting in 100F weather with stopped traffic.

That piece of 49 rocks. Good country on that piece of 89.

Bill_Walker

If you hit 70 right, as I did on my roundabout way to Torrey a couple of years ago, it can be pretty awesome. Great sweepers alongside a beautiful river and gorgeous mountains. I had planned to do Oroville-Quincy but ran short of time.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Forgot to include that all of my 89/70 problems have been on weekdays. That's the downside to avoiding the weekend "caravaners" as they say on Top Gear.

Ditto "the other Peter". It is a pretty road, but traffic can be awful. Lots of big trucks. Both hwy 89 and 49 are nice.

Have a good trip.

Archived