IGNORED

Seattle vs Los Angeles, if you could live either, which one ?

roydog007

Pondering a job opening in Seattle, same work, same money. The thought of change sounds good. Not sure yet..

Which one would you pick ?

Depends on whether you like the weather in Seattle and if you want to lane split or not. Both are in blue states and expensive to live in so that's not much help. Since you are already in SoCal, half the question is easy to answer.

Just for the beauty, I'd choose Seattle over LA anytime.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Probably Seattle. You have to be able to live without sunshine though. You'd also have to be able to live without SoCal.....that's easy for me. :rofl: Lived out in the IE for 18months. Never again down that way.

You might also have to drop the preposition, commonly inserted, before Freeway numbers. The 101. The 5. I don't think they do that up there.

szurszewski
Probably Seattle. You have to be able to live without sunshine though. You'd also have to be able to live without SoCal.....that's easy for me. :rofl: Lived out in the IE for 18months. Never again down that way.

You might also have to drop the preposition, commonly inserted, before Freeway numbers. The 101. The 5. I don't think they do that up there.

We don't say that, but since there have been tons of folks moving up here from CA for decades, we aren't too confused when YOU say it WRONG :)

I grew up south of and sometimes in Seattle. It's changed a good bit, but it's still not a "real" big city like LA, SanFran, NYC, Chicago. That said, it does have good food and a good variety of it (not as good as Portland...but you definitely don't want to move here - we're full!).

Don't tell anyone, but it doesn't rain as much as you think. It is grey OFTEN though, and for southern folk, it gets dark early in the winter - makes up for it in the summer though.

I haven't lived in either but I've visited both & my daughter lives in LA. I'd take Seattle any day. LA is just too big & crowded & hectic for my tastes. My $0.02 worth, anyway...

Seattle.

First choice.

Seattle.

Second choice.

You asked.

:wave:

+1 although I've never been there. I have been to and through LA area a few times. I'm with Tim.

I lived in Seattle for about 25 years. Been to LA a couple of times. Living in LA just looks like a nightmare. But some people like living in big cities. I don't.

One down side to Seattle - it rains from August to July. Summer is mid July to mid August. The other downside, is the place is overrun with Californians.... :wave:

I've lived in the L.A. area for most of my life. And while I haven't lived in Seattle, I spent 5 years in Olympia. Seattle itself is very expensive. However, you can live affordably not too far outside the city.

For most people, the question is the weather. The rain is the rain, but mostly it's not rain. It's a steady-to-heavy drizzle. Sure, you get the rare gullywasher, but mostly it's just wet. Your car's wipers will spend more time on Intermittent, than ON. However, the summers are absolutely spectacular. The sky is a blue that you don't see anywhere else. A few clouds are always present, giving it texture. And it stays light until 10PM at night. Conversely, daylight is from 8AM to only 4P in the winter.

From the riding standpoint, Washington has SoCal beat. More good roads. More scenic roads. Everything smells like pine. It's just better.

From a law enforcement standpoint, WA sucks. State Patrol is EVERYWHERE and they have lazer. Five over and you're toast. And don't get me started on the unmarked cars. Frickin Chevy Malibus, Toyota pickups, etc. Even Priuses. Commissioner of the State Patrol is VERY proud of the fact that his bureau is the second-largest revenue generator in the state. To top it off, everything from about 40 miles north of Seattle, to about 20 miles south of Olympia, has a max speed limit of 60. And any street that has a driveway on it, will be 25, maybe 30 if it's really rural.

The good side is that people set their cruise controls at 60 and just go where they're going. And that California crap about speeding up to block you as soon as they see your turn signal does not apply in WA. In fact, knowing that you're all in lockstep at 60, people actually make room for you if you need to change lanes or exit the highway.

Speaking of THE highway, there's I-5 and nothing else. At least on the wet side of the Cascades. One jackknifed truck, and everything shuts down. Locals may know a side route around an interstate problem, but you won't unless you've lived in a given area for a decade.

You can't lane split, but WA has come the closest to passing a lane splitting bill of all the other 49 states. It's coming, as soon as the politicians figure out they're not going to lose their jobs if they support what's right.

As for politicians, you and I have talked before. It's as bad as California.

Personally, I would live there again. It's a little tough because you're kind of painted into a corner of the U.S., and there are only about 90 degrees of escape (vs. 180 for CA), unless you make it a habit to go to Canada. But you get used to how things run, you get used to the persistent dampness, and you get to ride some beautiful areas.

Thank You for all the responses. I'm weighing in all the pros & cons. Current LA temp 62, foggy slight drizzle, Seattle 57, partly sunny. I'll probably miss the 2.5 hour daily commute to drive 28 miles total each day in LA.

You have a 2.5 hour daily commute for 28 miles, and you have to ask the question!!!!!

Who in his right mind would stay there?

This from a guy who lives in a town small enough to go home for lunch.

I could shave an hour off that by paying 14 bucks a day to use the toll road, which increased my commute and everyone else who doesn't use it. It added 15 minutes each way for me. I'm in negotiations with my wife about the move, we'll see how that goes ?

DaveTheAffable
Thank You for all the responses. I'm weighing in all the pros & cons. Current LA temp 62, foggy slight drizzle, Seattle 57, partly sunny. I'll probably miss the 2.5 hour daily commute to drive 28 miles total each day in LA.

I too lived in Seattle area, Auburn to be exact. I will likely return when I really and truly retire...lol. And my brother lives in Sammamish.

People seem... nicer. About everything.

Effbee hit the nail on scenics... Nothing like the north cascades. Sigh.

He also hit it about weather. For example, Portland Oregon gets more INCHES of rain every year, but they have more "sunny days" than Seattle. In Portland it rains... 1" over 2 days, and goes away. Seattle gets 1" of rain over 9 days of grey. But the lakes, streams, rivers, so nice. Snow is mostly held to mountains... but lower areas occasionally get ice.

City of Los Angeles is NOT southern California. So much more.

City of Seattle is NOT central western Washington. So much more.

But there IS traffic problems in Seattle. The bridges, and the "S-Curves".

Good Luck! :clap:

I could shave an hour off that by paying 14 bucks a day to use the toll road, which increased my commute and everyone else who doesn't use it. It added 15 minutes each way for me. I'm in negotiations with my wife about the move, we'll see how that goes ?

Motorcycles pay to ride on toll roads?

Dennis Andress

Motorcycles pay to ride on toll roads?

Bike cops are the only ones I've seen get away with riding on the shoulder to get around the toll sensor...

Seattle for sure, but;

If you visit realize that we are in an unusually dry and warm period that is forecast to extend into mid 2016,

Traffic is not as bad as LA but Seattle is in the top 10 cities with the worst congestion.

Seattle is expensive, so if possible reside outside King and Pierce County.

If you buy/build try to avoid hillsides and next to streams. We do get winter storms with heavy rains and 60 -70 MPH winds. Streams and rivers swell quickly. Snow, sometimes heavy, can occur. Several years ago I had 21 inches if snow in my driveway, and I live 6 miles from the ocean at an elevation of 150 ft. Wet month is November, cold is January, december is iffy with white christmas's a rarity.

The PNW is rainy, but not as bad as some say. However it is grey and overcast a lot. Summer usually doesn't start until July 5th.

Most folks don't have A/C but that is changing as summers are becoming warmer.

Mold is considered a flavor.

However, if you like snow capped mountain and water activities, cultural stuff and mostly friendly folks this is the place.

My career has allowed me to live in large cities on both coasts and in between and I've lived in the PNW on and off since 1964 and can't say I prefer anywhere else.

More stuff, in some cases repetitive of what's above.

People ARE nicer. However, if someone ever cuts you off and you catch them at the next light and want to tell them what a stupid driver they are, you will NOT get eye contact or any acknowledgment. It's kind of a "don't see you, so it didn't happen" mentality. Prolly also helps cut down on road rage incidents.

As stated, WA does not have personal income tax. However, labor is taxed. Home sales are taxed at nearly 2% for both the buyer AND the seller. Adding a porch or other home mod, permit fees are ASTRONOMICAL! One way or another, the state and counties are going to extract from you what they need to operate. There is no free ride.

Also, I've never seen so many people with canes, neck braces, etc. L & I (Labor and Industry, basically the WA version of Workman's Comp) is one of the largest bureaus in the state. It seems everyone has some sort of claim, or had some sort of claim, or has someone in their family who has a claim.

The sort of housing you see in CA, with pre-planned neighborhoods, is more rare in WA, although it's growing. You often see a beautiful home or two next to a piece of property with a house trailer as the main domicile. It's just the way it is. But that's more rural. Closer to the city you get more consistent neighborhoods. And if you like older homes with lots of character, you'll find more of those in WA than in CA.

I lived in Thurston County. It's an open carry county. I'm not sure about Pierce County (Tacoma and surrounds) or King County (Seattle), but I was comfortable with shopping in a supermarket next to people who had holstered sidearms. Some people aren't. Things like that, and no personal income tax, give WA a very paradoxical personality. Ideologically extreme one way on certain issues, yet extremely the other way on different issues.

There is NO good Mexican food to speak of. There's stuff that's passable, but not like we know it in SoCal. Good Asian food abounds. No In-N-Out yet, but Five Guys is up there. I have an In-N-Out embroidered lightweight jacket that I bought at one of their corporate stores in SoCal. People would see me in it and ask if I worked for them. I said I did and was up there doing recon to see where we should build some locations. Good heavens, you'd think I was asking convicts if we could build a brothel inside their walls! The response was ecstatic! Cruel of me to tease them like that, but they'll get I/O eventually.

As pointed out, no A/C in many homes, condos and apts. You can put it in if you want, for the 20 days a year you'll need it. Also, not much snow. A couple inches here and there, but since daytime highs are always above freezing, the snow lasts about 36 hours. The exception for us was the great dump of 2012, where a 40-year record was broken. We had 28" on the deck behind the house. But streets got plowed, sand was laid down, and we were moving again within 24 hours, even in a front-wheel-drive car. The snow was gone from the roads in 7 days. Life was slushy for a bit, but no one was inconvenienced much. At the other end of the scale, I had two winters out of five, where the snow totaled less than 2 inches. Enjoy it when it comes down.

Hottest temp I ever experienced was a 103-degree heat wave. Lasted a day, bookended by 90-degree days. Three days total above 85. DEVASTATING! Not! Coldest days were one morning at 10 degrees, and about a week when an arctic frost came down from Canada and the daytime highs didn't get over 28. That's over a 5-year period. Basically, though, winter temps are 28/38 and summer temps are 50/82. Oh, and when Spooner Farm kiosks go up everywhere, buy the strawberries, blueberries and especially the marionberries. You WILL become addicted. The rest of the time, it's often possible to pull off the side of any rural road and just pick your fill of blackberries. After a while you get good at reaching in through the thorns, and getting a handful without getting stuck. But the first year, the back of my hand looked like I pissed off a cat.

Finally, there are two very good BMW dealers. One north of Seattle, one south. Same owners. Quality people and service.

Bike cops are the only ones I've seen get away with riding on the shoulder to get around the toll sensor...

I've been waiting for you guys to chime in why you chose Port Orchard after moving from former digs in SoCal (same city as did I). I've never been to Port Orchard but seems it would be much quieter than across the bay.

Me? I chose here after being born, raised and worked my entire career in SoCal with residence in Ventura County from 1978 until mid-2013. Always wanted out of such high density polluted areas but work dictated staying put. The town and place I chose is quite different than the PNW, with mild 4 seasons and plenty opportunity for quality moto riding, weekly jeep trail runs and recreation a-plenty.

To Roy's question, I'd jump on that job in Seattle in a heartbeat with time while employed to evaluate putting down roots when the career is done...

Lived in Seattle for 30+ yrs. after coming out for "short stay" a couple of years after college. Used to be an easy place to live and still is, in some respects, but those are shrinking rapidly. Also lived in LA for a couple of years.

Confirming what others have said previously about Seattle especially the 7-8 months of just gray (not necessarily rain or even drizzle), just gray and dark on the west side of the Cascades especially in winter. And it has gotten very, very crowded and very high cost of living in metro area. Also in metro area, traffic is not too far removed from what I remember from my LA days during rush hour periods and those are expanding in duration quickly. And some of the worst and most aggressive driving I have seen anywhere and I grew up in Boston.

But as a region including WA east of the Cascades, easy access to OR, B.C., points east etc. it has a lot to offer, Great motorcycling as well as other outdoor opportunities. Climate, cost of living and traffic/crowds are the most significant things to consider if you would be living in the corridor from Everett in the north to Tacoma in the south or anywhere in greater Seattle.

Dennis Andress

I've been waiting for you guys to chime in why you chose Port Orchard after moving from former digs in SoCal ..

From our back deck...

back-deck-1.jpg

Lived in Port Ludlow many years (+Camano Island) and if you don't mind the ferry ride (I found it blissful) you can't beat living on the Peninsula. Riding a bike is great, first on-first off in the ferry system plus many HOV lanes in the I-5 and I-405 corridors. Just make sure you can deal with the gray skies. I love the lack of bugs and no poisonous snakes too. Did I mention gray skies? But July 5th through Sept is simply the greatest weather in the world. Currently in Moab with the Airstream and headed to Port Ludlow for the summer...

Joe Frickin' Friday
For most people, the question is the weather. The rain is the rain, but mostly it's not rain. It's a steady-to-heavy drizzle. Sure, you get the rare gullywasher, but mostly it's just wet. Your car's wipers will spend more time on Intermittent, than ON.

Funny, my sister just sent me this today:

I heard a comedian once say "They have a saying in Seattle; if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. Then put a gun to your head and pull the trigger because it's not changing for nine months!"
For most people, the question is the weather. The rain is the rain, but mostly it's not rain. It's a steady-to-heavy drizzle. Sure, you get the rare gullywasher, but mostly it's just wet. Your car's wipers will spend more time on Intermittent, than ON.

Funny, my sister just sent me this today:

I heard a comedian once say "They have a saying in Seattle; if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. Then put a gun to your head and pull the trigger because it's not changing for nine months!"

That don't sound good...

:S

I've been waiting for you guys to chime in why you chose Port Orchard after moving from former digs in SoCal ..

From our back deck...

back-deck-1.jpg

Yup. That's how I remember it.

JerryMather

Seattle, it would be a nice change from living in Los Angeles & if it didn't work out as planned you can always come back to LaLa Land but you'll at least experienced what four different seasons are like.

Seattle's a pretty cool & hip place to hang your hat nowadays.

Archived