IGNORED

Shell Helix Oil

Taylor 1983

Taylor 1983

IKCHRIS: I wanted to avoid that BMW cost per quart since it She'll is the manufacturer of BMW's oil. Think my dealer is $12/qt.

The only brand I've seen (Motorcycle Consumer News shows actual speed vs indicated)is Harley Davidson,they are spot on.

In the last 12 years I've used GPS as my speed indicator.

I've heard of riders just over the warranty mileage BMW honored the warranty.

Jay

My dealer said the new oil was $4 a bottle higher than the old oil. The parts guys thought I was stupid when I suggested I might need a loan for an oil change. They don't think in the real world. That put the oil at $15 a bottle.

The Shell oil now sold at BMW dealers is made in Germany and is NOT the same thing as WalMart Shell.

BMW is now a wet clutch manufacturer and oil for those needs JASO qualification.

The Shell oil now sold at BMW dealers is made in Germany and is NOT the same thing as WalMart Shell.

BMW is now a wet clutch manufacturer and oil for those needs JASO qualification.

The oil in RobL's post meets that requirement.

I have not seen the exact formulation for BMW's oil for Wethead use. It probably has some expensive perfume in it to make it different from Shell Rotella T6. But it could very well be virtualy identical as Shell is the supplier to BMW now it seems.

Shell Rotella T6 is a JASO MA2 oil for wet clutches, and has EVERY other specification/designation that BMW lists for Wethead engines. So, while Shell may indeed have a different formulation for the stuff they ship to BMW it doesn't seem like it would be any better for the Wethead engine in any way.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on what I found on this forum, I am also running Shell Rotella T6 in my '14. It's been in there for a few thousand miles with zero issues so far.

I have been running Rotella T6 in my RT for roughly 3000 miles. I also run it in my ST1300 for 65,000 miles. I use it in my truck also. Good stuff and cheap. I have used it in other previous bikes too.

Alan

Shell Rotella T6 is a JASO MA2 oil for wet clutches...

ISTR T6 was JASO MA (not MA2) so I went to the Shell site and found the information sheet http://s02.static-shell.com/content/dam/shell-new/local/business/rotella/downloads/pdf/rotella-t6-brochure.pdf - yup, MA not MA2. Long story short, MA is for wet clutches and it has 3 properties that go from, say A to C. MA1 is A to B, MA2 is B to C. So an MA oil might, but probably doesn't, meet MA2 (if it did, they'd say so)

For the long story, see http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/206%20JASO%20MA-MA1-MB%20Specification%20differences%20MARCH%202014.pdf

realshelby

Shell Rotella T6 is a JASO MA2 oil for wet clutches...

ISTR T6 was JASO MA (not MA2) so I went to the Shell site and found the information sheet http://s02.static-shell.com/content/dam/shell-new/local/business/rotella/downloads/pdf/rotella-t6-brochure.pdf - yup, MA not MA2. Long story short, MA is for wet clutches and it has 3 properties that go from, say A to C. MA1 is A to B, MA2 is B to C. So an MA oil might, but probably doesn't, meet MA2 (if it did, they'd say so)

For the long story, see http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/206%20JASO%20MA-MA1-MB%20Specification%20differences%20MARCH%202014.pdf

Are you willing to bet on that? Manufacturers don't benefit all that much from JASO compliance as the market is not all that large. Their product may pass but the testing involves time and money. There updated spec sheets shows it meets EVERY requirement for oil in a BMW Wethead.

Rotella%20T6_zpsofgmgvm2.jpg

Hmm, the spec sheet you posted does indeed say MA2 yet you can click my link to the Shell website and see that it only says MA. In the face of conflicting information from Shell I'm not sure what to believe. Perhaps the left hand and the right hand need to speak to one another. I will say that I used it in my Wing with no trouble and I'd have little hesitation using it in my RT after the warranty runs out.

realshelby

Like I wrote above, the manufacturers probably don't care about JASO ratings as much as other specs. My spec sheet is copied from the Shell website. Who knows, maybe enough bike owners called to ask about the specs and they decided to get it "approved" for MA2. I can tell you that one of the members here called Shell and confirmed it is a JASO MA2 rated oil. Since it meets ALL of BMW's specifications for engine oil it will not be any problem for a warranty claim.

It's interesting that we managed to get 2 different spec sheets for the same product from the same site. Not saying you're wrong (or admitting that I am), just pointing out that the same source gives conflicting information.

realshelby
It's interesting that we managed to get 2 different spec sheets for the same product from the same site. Not saying you're wrong (or admitting that I am), just pointing out that the same source gives conflicting information.

Well, all I was after was presenting information for anyone that might consider using this oil. While it is now $21 per gallon at Wally World, that is still considerably less than ANY other approved oil for these bikes. Plus you can get it ANYWHERE while on a trip. There will always be those that won't use something that isn't their "brand". I get that, but in this case posting that a product doesn't meet the specifications provided by BMW for our Wethead engines is misleading. The latest version of the specification sheet confirms that, as well as phone contact with a Shell representative.

• 3 weeks later...

I used Shell Rotella T6 in my Honda ST1300 I had around 80,000 trouble free miles on the bike when I traded it in on my first 1200GS no problems with the engine and no problems with the wet clutch. I will be using it in my 2015 RT. That is until Shell imports their advance ultra into the us

Archived