IGNORED

Front and Rear wheel install question -

paRTy

When installing the lug nuts on the rear wheel, screws on front calipers, should you put any locktite or anti seize on the screws?

And should new grease go on the front quick release axle when reinstalling?

2014 rt

thx

Of all the service manuals I've ever used, nowhere was it ever necessary to put locktite on the calipers or the lugs. Torquing to the correct torque is very important when reinstalling the front and especially the rear wheel. As with installing lugs on any alloy wheel, always re-torque after several miles of riding. Anti-seize is not recommended on lugs.

The only place locktite is required is when reinstalling the rotors- front or rear.

I always spray a light coat of white lithium grease on the axle when reinstalling the front wheel. Mostly to keep moisture from crapping it up but I am not sure just how helpful it really is. It never hurt spraying grease on it.

Guest Kakugo

Putting a small dab of grease is always recommended on dissimilar metals (steel bolts on light alloy parts for example). Whoever will remove that bolt the next time will thank you.

Front axle... it turns on bearings, so no need for lube. But a small amount of grease will make removal much easier next time around.

realshelby
Putting a small dab of grease is always recommended on dissimilar metals (steel bolts on light alloy parts for example). Whoever will remove that bolt the next time will thank you.

Front axle... it turns on bearings, so no need for lube. But a small amount of grease will make removal much easier next time around.

Grease or other lubricants are not always recommended!

In fact many manufacturers clearly request that wheel bolts/nuts be installed DRY. While there are many places a touch of grease or oil might be ok on fasteners, there are many components on a bike that should have manufacturers recommendations followed.

Guest Kakugo

Grease or other lubricants are not always recommended!

In fact many manufacturers clearly request that wheel bolts/nuts be installed DRY. While there are many places a touch of grease or oil might be ok on fasteners, there are many components on a bike that should have manufacturers recommendations followed.

Thanks for lecturing me. I really felt the need for it.

Archived