IGNORED

Storage

Jimroc777

I'm going out of state for work.

I recently changed all the fluids an new plugs.

My wife will plug the battery tender in once a week or so. I have a full tank of gas in it with stabil added.

Question is would I have to do anything when I get back?

The bike is parked I doors in air conditioning.

It's a 04 rockster. I did put a couple of hundred miles since the maintenance. Thanks

The Rocketman

Good idea to get the bike up off the ground somehow to get the weight off your tires, depending on how long its going to be laid up. Also maybe put a sock or something to cover up the exhaust outlet so no furry critters move in while you're gone.

I could be gone up to 5 or 6 months, I did run it after adding the stabil,and it is parked on the center stand. I'm living in a development that doesn't allow motorcycles for some sick reason. So it's tucked away in the corner of my living room so critters or humidity won't be an issue.

It's just that I never put up my bike for that long, I'm in central Florida where we ride year round. Appriciate everyone's input

Bill_Walker
Battery tender once a month is more than enough. How long is the storage?

Sure, but why bother unplugging it? It's not going to draw that much power. Unplugging it risks forgetting to plug it back in. Unless, of course, what you really have is a trickle charger (no intelligence) versus a Battery Tender (intelligent, knows how to charge and then maintain charge).

Taylor 1983

Folks like me who live in Michigan typically sore their bike easily for 6 months or so. Sounds like you have done just about all you need to do except take the front tire from supporting weight.

szurszewski
Battery tender once a month is more than enough. How long is the storage?

Sure, but why bother unplugging it? It's not going to draw that much power. Unplugging it risks forgetting to plug it back in. Unless, of course, what you really have is a trickle charger (no intelligence) versus a Battery Tender (intelligent, knows how to charge and then maintain charge).

+1 if it's not a maintenance charger, get one of those instead if you can. Battery will probably be happier that way. If it were me, and I just had a trickle charger, I'd make sure the battery was charged and then disconnnect it before I left - if it's newish, it will likely be ok after a few/several months.

I used to leave my bikes parked - our truck too - nine months out of each year (taught where there were no roads and the vehicles lived elsewhere); did pretty much what you said. Stabil in the fuel, run enough to get it into the system and then topped off the tank; all fluids fresh, plug in the chrager and go. One year the "on board" smart charger's positive lead corroded through, but that's the only issue we ever had. After that we sprayed all the connection with a beeswax (I think) based aerosol product made for such a purpose. I'd think you'll be fine indoors though.

Archived