IGNORED

Tale of woe.

Johnny Meccano

Johnny Meccano

Hello from Australia and thank you for having me on your excellent forum.

The battery on my '96 R1100RT died so I bought a new gel cell battery and as the bike wasn't being used, I bought a Eurotec High Frequency charger that stays connected via the merit plug. Unfortunately I must have unplugged it and forgotten, so 6 months later when I went to start it the battery was as dead as a doornail. Even the new charger wouldn't work as there must have been zero volts. Reluctantly I spent the next hour removing all the fairing on the right hand side only to remember that the battery comes out on the left hand side! Grrr. Finally after charging the battery on a regular charger, I put it back in but as I connected the terminal, there were sparks and clickity click rat a tat tat noises. Oops. I had turned the key to unlock the steering while the battery was out and had left the ignition on. I quickly turned the ignition off and went about reconnecting the battery. All seemed well but even though the motor was turning over normally, it wouldn't fire. I disconnected the battery and left it over night in the hope that the computer? would reset itself, but no luck. It just turns over until the battery goes flat without firing.

What have I done? The fuses look ok. It's full of fuel. The kill switch is all correct.

It just won't go.

Johnny Meccano
Morning Jonny

Is the side stand UP????

Yes. I believe the motor will not kick over if it were down.

I don't know how to check if there is spark. Easy on my lawnmower, I just take the spark plug out and hold it against the cylinder so I can see the spark, but I don't think that will work on my BM, besides, I might get a shock. Lol.

I have...had a clamp meter (someone has borrowed it). Will that work?

Morning Jonny

Is the side stand UP????

Yes. I believe the motor will not kick over if it were down.

I don't know how to check if there is spark. Easy on my lawnmower, I just take the spark plug out and hold it against the cylinder so I can see the spark, but I don't think that will work on my BM, besides, I might get a shock. Lol.

I have...had a clamp meter (someone has borrowed it). Will that work?

Morning Jonny

You can do the same on a BMW. It should show spark across the plug electrode gap while cranking.

When you first turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump run for about 3 seconds?

Check fuse #5 for being good.

Do you have 12 volts to the green wires at the fuel injectors for about 3 seconds at key on, then during engine cranking?

Johnny Meccano

Thanks Dirt Rider. It's late here in Oz, but I will check those things first thing in the morning and let you guys know.

What a fast response! Great site!!

Edit... PS. Just figured out that you can't upload a photo for your avatar, so I used the 'link to photo sharing site' method.

My avatar is Ayres Rock (or Uluru as it's now called) with my R1100RT posing proudly in front after several days riding to get there.

Johnny Meccano

I have checked fuse 5 and it buzzes out ok on my multimeter.

I do not hear the fuel pump run for 3 seconds when I turn the ignition on. I only hear the relay for the abs clicking in time to the flashing abs lights. I have also just noticed that the fuel level display is not showing. Edit. Reseated fuse 6 after checking and reseated fuel pump relay. Fuel gauge now showing, but I still don't hear fuel pump run for 3 secs when ignition is 1st turned on.

edit. And yes, it is full of fuel.

Michaelr11

You have four relays in the box that are the same part #. Swap the horn relay for your fuel pump relay to see if that fixes it. Your RID must be ON or nothing will happen. Kill switch in the RUN position, side stand up.

Archived