IGNORED

Plastic Shield for Hard Bags 2015 R1200RT

Taylor 1983

Taylor 1983

I casually went to take a seat on my brand new R1200RT and scuffed my hard bag. I put a hairline scratch approximately 2" long. I tried rubbing it out with improvement but still noticeable. Has anyone ever used 3Ms films to cover their hard bags to prevent this type of careless scratches?

Yep. BMW sells a pre-cut piece, and there are various pre-cut full bike kits available via fleaBay and individual companies. It takes a great deal of patience, care, and a couple bits of proper "kit" to do these well. For most folks I suggest taking the bike to the local car 3M clear bra installer.

Guest Kakugo
Thanks Mark. I'm going to stop by a local installer today.

Wise choice.

3M has a family of tinted films available that are 90% color matches with most common BMW colors. I suggest you go this route: even for an experienced installer it's really, really hard to get rid of all the air bubbles that remain underneath thick films, the kind you want to have on side cases. Clearfilms make those bubbles very noticeable.

I have the side cases of my Hexhead wrapped in a gloss black, very thick 3M film and they have paid themselves many, many times over. :thumbsup:

PS: if it's not too much trouble, could you ask your local installer what they recommend for heel plates? Mine has already gone through three different materials, applied in a number of layers and still they only last a few weeks before developing big gaps.

Thanks.

I put http://www.thetankslapper.biz/ on mine, it's not easy to get perfect I'm sure a professional can. It's a good kit and the owner of the company is a good guy. I've used his stuff on my Wee Strom too.

+1

I installed his kit on my new RTW, not because I thought I could do a good job (I didn't), but to protect the new paint until I could get the bike to a professional a few months down the road (I had the grey parts of my grey/SanMario Blue RTW painted blue and didn't want chips/bug etching before it could be done "right").

Taylor 1983

Thanks for the suggestions, all of them! I stopped by my local BMW dealer today because I heard BMW has a kit for the side bags. The price for the plastic was $114.00. My Service Tech wouldn't attempt to try to do the application and advised a detailed do the work. I have to imagine his time would have to $130.00?

whitelightning99

I bought a complete kit off fleabay for $130 and tried to do it myself. Total Fail! Messed with it for 2 or 3 hours, and didn't get it anywhere close to right. Took it to an installer, and she completed the whole bike, including making 2 new pieces, in 2 hours. Money well spent.

Archived