IGNORED

tire update on 03 r1150rt

joeb

Replaced my Michelin pilot road 3s , which I really loved, especially in the rain, with pilot road 4 GTs.

Like the GTS very much. They seem to have delivered on the 20% longer mileage. My 3s were cooked at 9000, my GT 4s were good till 11000 miles. I ride fairly aggressively in all types of weather and temps. Not sure if need the GTS but it is the new BMW issue tire.Think I like the 3s just a little bit better but love the extra milage of the 4s. Any thoughts ?

greiffster

If you're getting 9k out of back tire on R1150RT than you're doing way better than me. So stick with them if you like them.

greiffster

I'm getting 6k out of the rear and it wears out quicker than the front. But, I think that's mostly because of the number of miles I have to go to get to the curvy stuff.

Every single bike I have ever owned wears the rear out much faster than the front. So, basing a front tyre lasting 10000 miles, the rear tyre used to last 4000, but with modern tyres (and I guess my riding style, however, I'd say I am more aggressive on the rear now than I used to be)will last in the order 5000/6000 - despite manufacturers claims of longer and longer tyre life.

But, like I say, tyres are such an important part of the motorcycle experience, so like fuel - they are consumable.

My tires are wearing about the same front and rear, both with the 3s and the 4s. The 4s seem to be wearing very even. When I ride twisties my pressures are usually around 40 psi rear and 38 psi front. I will replace my tires with new pr4gt.

Archived