IGNORED

Gafler brake lines for 1100RT

HH0

Can someone verify that the Gafler brake line kit D173-5 is the correct part number for replacing all the brake lines on my 1100RT? A couple of websites list another part number and the description is wrong so I am thinking they messed up. One site has the D173-5 part number listed but a picture of just 2 lines and the wrong year bikes listed. I sent a note to Gafler but haven't heard back. I am assuming there is nothing wrong with Gafler versus other SS kits. Any comments?

szurszewski

So you're saying you're not done with the mighty vac yet? :)

I'm thinking of going for a bit of ride on Wednesday - I have a meeting in the am and want to be back by 2pm (but don't have to be). Want to come? Or have you disassembled both bikes now? :dopeslap:

I'm no help with either of your questions, by the way - other than to say I've seen many nice things about that brand on here, and never a complaint. Same as Spiegler in that regard.

josh

I also have no direct experience with Galfer. Replaced OEM brake lines with Spiegler in 2012. I had to file a bit off the aluminum splitter block to make it fit the bracket, but other than that, very straightforward installation. I used a vacuum pump to suck new brake fluid through, no issues.

Reference: Spiegler brake lines internet dealer

Josh, no I am not finished with your mighty vac yet. Yes I would like to go for a ride with you depending on weather. Let me know.

Selden, the reason I was considering Gafler is because they are about $90 less expensive and I haven't heard anything negative about Gafler so why not try them!

szurszewski

You could probably go even cheaper by making up your own. I've not seen anyone post about that here, but I assume it's possible. When I ordered a new brake line from Hannigan to hook up the sidecar brake to the bikes rear circuit, what they sent was a length of braided line and a banjo bolt fitting for each end. I screwed one up trying to figure out how it worked (and then looked it up on YouTube...should have done that first I guess), but it was pretty easy.

josh

To actually answer your question, the D173-5 kit is the correct front and rear kit for your R1100RT with ABS.

I've sold Galfer for about 15 years and they are one of the top brands.

The banjos are chromed steel, not aluminum.

You will find the top line to the master is cut a bit long to accommodate bar risers if you have them.

If you have to "clock" any of the banjo fittings, no special tool is needed.

Note the final position you want the banjo to twist to, hold the crimped end of the line with the "teeth" (not the tip) of a pair of common slip joint pliers, insert a Phillips screwdriver through the eye of the banjo and twist the screwdriver thus turning the eyelet where you need it.

Only turn the eyelet one direction, don't back up once you've chosen a direction.

Go slowly so you don't overshoot your index mark.

Normally only 1 or 2 of the banjos need to be turned. It's usually 1 if any.

thanks for the verification and advice. I think I will go with the Gaflers as they are priced better than the others.

Archived