IGNORED

dual tone horns for RT

wolds

Hello all, I know there are plenty of threads on the subject, but I wanted to pass along a good inexpensive source for the 1200RT horn upgrade. These horns were purchased from Pelican Parts and are an equivalent of the horns specked for the dual tone (510 and 420hz) horn from the attached URL. upgrade.http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/index-SC.htm Total purchase price including shipping to Ohio was $38.99. The horns installed without any modifications in about 45 minutes and work very well. PN are 61-33-8-381-271-M400 and 61-33-8-381-272-M400 If you would like more info on install or pictures of the horn PM me please. Warren

Thanks for the info.

Couple of question:

- Do I need to get both?

- Since my 07 RT has one horn already, do I only have to get the other one? If so, which one? high tone or low tone?

Dan,

The lead for the second horn is taped to the support for the fairing behind the LH mirror. Pull off the mirror and you will see it. There are other threads on this site that describe the install so I chose not to duplicate.FYI, I have an 07 also just like yours.

Dan,

The lead for the second horn is taped to the support for the fairing behind the LH mirror. Pull off the mirror and you will see it. There are other threads on this site that describe the install so I chose not to duplicate.FYI, I have an 07 also just like yours.

Hi Warren,

Can you provide links to those threads? Thanks in advance.

The Rocketman

Here's the ones I installed on my '09 RT.

61338381271/61337655881 (old p/n) Low pitch 420Hz $ 63.37 (new list price)

61337655882 High pitch 510Hz $ 53.37 (new list price)

Purchased from a 2003 R1150RT off Ebay for $25.00 for the set!

Many bikes use the same horns. Sometimes the mounting brackets are reversed but part numbers were confirmed as accurate with the manufacturer before I made the purchase.

Dan,

Wolds,

Do I need to get both horns or just the second one?

Not so. I plugged the first horn into the system before I added second horn and it would work although I don't see why you would go that route. Warren

You need to get them both because they are trumpet type and you have a pancake horn

Thanks

That answers my question :thumbsup:

Kathy,

The pictures tell all. You only need to remove the body work on the left side of the bike to gain access to the horn locations. When you remove the pancake horn you will gain a cage nut and bolt which you will use to mount the second horn. When you pull the left hand mirror you will see the cable/connector for the second horn. Hope that helps you. Warren

Archived