IGNORED

Question on Internal Fuel Hose Replacement

Glenn Reed

Glenn Reed

I'm in the middle of doing the fuel pump, filter, and internal lines. I installed QD's on and got the tank off. When I finally got the guts out of the fuel tank, I found that the fuel filter was dated in 2012. All the internal hoses look fine, at least on the outside. Called my dealer, and yes, they did the filter as part of the 48K service in early 2013. All the hoses look new, but the service guy could not confirm that from the computer. The clamps are the factory type.

C5699892-7029-4197-9B8A-2F44CA38E930_zpsagifarfu.jpg

I think everything looks great, so I am considering just buttoning it back up. Your thoughts?

Also, what is this, and why was it down in the tank?

8D93D96F-B264-4F89-BC11-0BC647147BA4_zpswabpvccc.jpg

Thanks to all.

greiffster

My U tube looked fine when I changed it also. But, as I understand it, they are prone to cracking over time. The flexible one is supposed to hold up better. I'd probably change it.

The oval thing has to be the float. I heard the early ones were prone to coming off the arm. If you have another float on the arm, it's possible they just left it in there and put on another float?

Afternoon Glenn

That looks like the cover on your in-tank fuel separator/roll over valve. (part of the tank venting system).

It's attached to the fuel fill ring inner assembly.

roll%20over%20cover_zpskzh37b8r.jpg

Glen, If you are not sure if the hoses are original or not and you are in there already I would change them.

Glenn Reed

Ok, so I looked again, and two of the clamps were replacements, the ones where the hoses connected to the fuel pump, which we knew had been replaced. All the other hose connections were BMW, and probably original. Based on that, I went ahead and replaced everything as had been the original plan.

I put the tank back on and made all the connections. Tried to fire it up, but as I had drained most of the fuel, it was a little reluctant. I could hear the fuel pump at key on, it would run for a few seconds and cut out.

I knew I still had to mow the lawn, so I called timeout and came home to do my chores. I'll get back on it in the morning.

Thanks for all the help.

Glenn

Glenn Reed

Added the gas back to the tank and tried it again, wouldn't even fire.

Make sure you got those QDs "clicked" together properly.

Checked this^^^

:dopeslap:

Fired right up after I clicked what was obviously the supply line QD's.

Thanks folks.

Glenn

Archived