IGNORED

Wind Screen

Taylor 1983

Taylor 1983

What is the best way to maintain a wind screens newness? I have all the sprays, but is there anything more permanent and truly protects from scratches and swirl marks?

It's the products you use. Microfiber, never user paper. If it's dirty with mud and such, lots of water to wash with a surfactant (I use Turtle Car Wash), you don't want to rub mud into the shield. Lot's products out there, Plexus is my choice.

Jay

What is the best way to maintain a wind screens newness? I have all the sprays, but is there anything more permanent and truly protects from scratches and swirl marks?

*NEVER* take any petroleum-based product to a stock windshield (I use only water and microfiber cloths).

The stock windshields have a thin, quite hard surface coating that is very good at resisting scratches.

A tip for dried-on bug removal: lay a wet washcloth or towel over the windshield for 15-20 minutes. When thoroughly re-wetted the bug guts wipe right off. If you need to use any elbow grease, they're not socked through.

Merchants who sell to the aviation industry will have sprays and wipes that are specifically designed to clean in a safe way. Cee Bailey is a supplier of aircraft windshields. They offer both a spray and the Dupont Sontara aerospace grade wipes.

The problem I have with microfiber cloth is that once used it should really be laundered before using it on critical surfaces. That being said, most windscreens on BMWs are at a height where you are not looking through them, but over them while you are definitely looking through an aircraft's windshield. In any case, a windscreen with swirls and/or scratches definitely takes away from the looks of the bike.

As mentioned, getting the bugs and such rehydrated is very important, but I like to go one step further by using only running water and my hands to gentle get everything unstuck from the shield before I use and wipe or cloth.

I was recently clued in to using a 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide for bug removal. Does a great job of dissolving them.

Hi. I like to heat up water in a microwave oven (for a few minutes), soak a microfiber (or any soft cloth) towel in the hot water, and then lay it on my windscreen for a few minutes. The bugs come right off.

By the way, if you have hydrogen peroxide and liquid dish soap, then you just about have the makings for

! :-)

---John.

Mustang Guy
Hi. I like to heat up water in a microwave oven (for a few minutes), soak a microfiber (or any soft cloth) towel in the hot water, and then lay it on my windscreen for a few minutes. The bugs come right off.

By the way, if you have hydrogen peroxide and liquid dish soap, then you just about have the makings for

! :-)

---John.

Similarly, I use warm or hot water, but I add a bit of Dawn to it. It foams up nicely in the microfiber towel and helps prevent the dirt scratching the finish.

The Hydrogen Peroxide way sounds neat. I will try that out some time. Honestly though, hot water, Dawn and a microfiber works very easily...

Pledge (or generic) aerosol furniture polish plus microfiber cloth. Cheap, safe, cuts the crud and leaves your windscreen shiny and swirl-free! Works great on the helmet shield too. Learned it on a forum somewhere (probably here) and now take it on all my trips.

foundationapps
Pledge (or generic) aerosol furniture polish plus microfiber cloth. Cheap, safe, cuts the crud and leaves your windscreen shiny and swirl-free! Works great on the helmet shield too. Learned it on a forum somewhere (probably here) and now take it on all my trips.

+1 on the pledge. Old method that I learned in the 70s. Some of the new coatings don't like it though. Scorpion shields glaze over. Windshield of the beemer though it's great!

Archived