IGNORED

Dropped my key inside my new 2005 R1200RT

Mike Elwood

Mike Elwood

I just bought a 2005 R1200RT in great shape with less than 7K miles. As I was trying out the storage compartment (glove box?), I dropped the key. Instead of falling straight through to the driveway, it bounced backwards towards the engine. I got the neighbor kid to reach for it; he managed to get a finger on it, but then it fell farther back into the bike. I can't see it or feel it at all now.

What am I going to have to take apart to get the key out? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Could try one of these flexible magnets. Been a while since I've stripped an 05 so I'd rather not give bad advice. Good luck, you'll find it! :thumbsup:

bd4b6368-a88c-4f16-9a4a-b4283487d4c9_PH331A.JPG

Pat

A magnet might work if the key is on a steel keyring. The key itself is not magnetic. If you can see the key, a length of coat hanger wire with a small hook on the end may let you snag it.

My RT has the radio prep kit (no radio), so the compartment is a box with wiring and a small fan at the bottom. Small items hide under the fan frequently so I've learned to keep them in sandwich bags. Sorry, I don't know what is in that location without the prep kit.

If dis-assembly is needed, there is also

. On your 2005, the four screws above and below the exhaust headers are T30. The newer models use the same T25 as all the other screws. (EDIT: Just realized you probably won't need to take that lower panel off.)

Tupperware removal is really not that big a deal, it's time to learn. Probably one side should do if you choose wisely.

Either that or turn it upside down and shake it.

Could try one of these flexible magnets. Been a while since I've stripped an 05 so I'd rather not give bad advice.

bd4b6368-a88c-4f16-9a4a-b4283487d4c9_PH331A.JPG

A magnet might work if the key is on a steel keyring. The key itself is not magnetic.

Bad advice?...No. Useless advice?...Yes. :grin: Sorry bout that, thought the key was steel for sure.

Pat

duct tape or electrical tape tied around something backwards so sticky side out. Last time I whoops a key I used a paper towel roll, wound a couple layers of tape around so stick side out....then you can shove it anywhere as it will collapse to fit the size of the hole....don't be cheap with the tape

Mike Elwood

A magnet won't work because the key isn't on a keyring. Also, I can't see it to fish it out with tape or a coat hanger.

I took the left side panel off, but it didn't expose any of the area I need to get to. This sucks!

Doug_Baliko

Okay, this is going to sound stupid but it may work if you have a phone that has FaceTime capabilities. Tape the phone to a stick. Set it up to face time with another device, like your home computer, or your neighbors cell. Lower it down into the bike and look around to locate the keys location. Then you will at lest know exactly where it is. From there you can start figuring out how to get to it.

Doug

I took the left side panel off, but it didn't expose any of the area I need to get to. This sucks!

If the left panel is still off, use a flashlight and look very hard under the alternator and the ABS tray -- if the kid knocked it in toward the rear of the bike, I suspect it fell on top of the engine block.

If the left panel is still off, use a flashlight and look very hard under the alternator and the ABS tray -- if the kid knocked it in toward the rear of the bike, I suspect it fell on top of the engine block.

My first time taking the tupper ware off I fumbled one of the screws near the steering column and it disappeared. I did finally locate it and tried to get at and it just fell further into the beast. I took it to the dealer and the mechanic knew just where it would be. Near the alternator.

Mike Elwood

Success! I took the right panel off, removed the glove compartment, and there was the key - sitting on a shelf behind the alternator. A piece of coat hanger wire with a hook at the end and it was pretty easy to fish out.

At least now I know all about removing the plastic!

Guest Kakugo

Good job, though I am grateful I have a very large keyring making these things (almost) impossible.

Success! I took the right panel off, removed the glove compartment, and there was the key - sitting on a shelf behind the alternator. A piece of coat hanger wire with a hook at the end and it was pretty easy to fish out.

At least now I know all about removing the plastic!

Until you remove the tail section, you don't. :grin:

Archived