IGNORED

Value of Masters in CS?

Glenn Reed

Glenn Reed

Our older son is going into his senior year in Computer Science. His skills lend themselves to a heads down programming environment. We just became aware of an accelerated B.S./M.S. program at his school (UMBC ). If he were to take advantage of this option, the main idea would be for him to get the Masters in CS before beginning his employment. Another option would be to have him continue with graduate level classes part time after his B.S. and still get the Masters that way.

For those in the programming area (I am a server and networking guy), is there payoff for taking another year and completing the M.S. before beginning employment?

Thanks,

Glenn

The best preparation for a coding career is coding. The degree might be a door opener for the first job, but after that it seems to be more about your track record, and what you can actually do. Class projects are fine - but getting some real life development under his belt will give him the real boost.

I know several successful programmers who didn't do the full degree route - they landed their 'dream' jobs by starting out doing software development for themselves: writing shareware or apps. They were then noticed (or bought out) by a big outfit who shares their vision, or at least appreciates it. A couple of them work for Apple computer now - one had his software included as a part of some larger project within Apple, the other continues to support his app (albeit sporadically) as a sideline 'hobby.'

Ultimately, a (good) employer doesn't even care if you know the particular language they use in development - since what's the favored flavor changes so often. But they DO want to know you 'get' programming. A good coder understands the PROCESS, and it's ultimately about how to systematically solve problems, not memorize the syntax.

Oldironken

I'm not a programmer myself, but i am in product development for a CAD/CAM software company.

We hire a lot guys with their BS that were interns with us over the years. There is no experience like experience, it may work to his advantage to get a job in the field for a year or so to see what really gets him excited and then take the next step.

My 16 year old grandson will be doing a CS internship with Northrup Grumman in Denver this summer.

His dad is a self employed developer after having a career with Nextel.

The remarks above about understanding the process are spot on.

In many ways, it is a skill set you are either born with or not, just like artistic or musical abilities. We all can "learn" but we all can not be good or great.

In fact, there is some strong evidence that musical and computing abilities are linked.

Based on conversations with my son, I would recommend he get experience first.

YMMV

Dave_in_TX

If "His skills lend themselves to a heads down programming environment" and he enjoys that, then he might not gain anything by getting his masters. If he can work full time and still get the masters, then there will probably be some benefit but many developer positions are specified such that a masters will be accepted in lieu of a year or two of experience.

Getting his MS will separate himself from other candidates. It won't necessarily make him a better programmer/coder. If he goes to work for a big firm, they will teach the way they want him to code anyway. What he learns in school will apply, but guarantee his employer have a view of their architecture and their way to write code.

I guess if it were me, I would try to get on with a company I wanted to have a career with even if only part time and work the MS at same time.

Hate to say it but, "chicken and egg." It depends upon his long term goals. If he is looking to be in management or teach at a University, then the masters will be eventually required for most managerial positions but is definitely required for teaching. If he wishes to be a techie (which some people want to stay) then I would say do the part time school and full employment route.

Glenn Reed

Most of the feedback here seems to mirror his thought pattern - go get a job and worry about any further formal education later. :rofl:

Thanks again for all the responses. :thumbsup:

We wish him the best of luck as he travels down his career path! :thumbsup:

At the beginning, it's not so easy to see the end.

Glenn Reed
We wish him the best of luck as he travels down his career path! :thumbsup:

At the beginning, it's not so easy to see the end.

Thanks Bud, the path thus far has been very rocky, but he has really turned things around and we're looking forward to seeing him continue that trajectory.

Dennis Andress

I've been coding for... well almost 20 years. I don't have a degree, but if I did have one it would be from 1980 or so. Everything has changed since then.

Everything except Math that is...

Charles Elms

There are lots of government computer jobs in the Baltimore Washington area. If he were to go that route, often the employer will pay for many of the classes needed for a Masters. Something to think about.

beemerman2k

As a life long software engineer, I say absolutely get the masters. The market demand for "heads down coders" has fallen substantially since Y2K. This skill set is relatively inexpensively available all over the globe, especially in places like India. What is vital is the higher level skills, knowledge, understanding, and mastery. Software architectures, business processes, and engineering management. Someone has to direct and manage this global workforce of "heads down coders".

In fact, I would argue that the Masters is essential for a career in this business. Development projects are expensive, so firms are not looking to hire Americans do to the job for 1/3+ what it would cost Indians to do it. Don't compete with the Indians, even if you win the reward won't be much at all. Differentiate, lead, direct, innovate, and that's where the Masters really proves its worth.

Dennis Andress

Differentiate, lead, direct, innovate, and that's where the Masters really proves its worth.

You're right, on all points. Leadership and innovation are difficult to find. Going outside of a CS curriculum for business processes and engineering management is a good idea.

Glenn Reed

More good information, albeit in a different direction. :rofl:

I will discuss with him and go from there...

I'm a retired software engineer/developer/coder/sysadmin/etc...over 40 yr worth. I agree with beemerman. While coding is my favorite part, it's only about 25% of the total effort on a software development project (depends somewhat on the methodology) and it's often farmed out. The rest is project management, spec writing, developing test cases, etc. In my experience, these days an MS (and not necessarily in CS) is often a requirement to be hired for any of those.

Matts_12GS

Glenn, if he's going to do one master's program, two wouldn't take him that much longer. If he did the MS in CS with an MBA, he would be well positioned to move into a leading role in the industry once he gets experience under his belt

Archived