IGNORED

twinspark alternator belt replacement

Kenneticut

Kenneticut

can this be done under the shade tree or does it involve too specific tooling? I heard of using lock nuts instead of special tool. and I have a torque wrench & could borrow another. but has it been done by any of you guys? Doable or what?

roger 04 rt

Yes doable. I put a hex head drive to the bolt end of the adjuster and got the right torque without the tool.

There are two different belts though. One is torqued to the correct tension the other is stretched to the correct tension. You have to figure out which you have.

As Roger said, you first have to figure out which belt you have (type of alternator dictates this). Some of the early twin spark 1150's came with a different alternator/belt (Poly V belt, like mine) than the later build units (ELAST belt). I think THIS THREAD was the most recent chat on the topic, but there are plenty of others if you do a search on this forum.

There are at least 3 different ways for a "shade-tree" to tension the Poly V belt. One being a little more subjective than the other two, but either way, not too hard. I have no experience working with the ELAST belts.

Morning Kenneticut

The info Roger & Waynerd posted as well as the link that Waynerd posted pretty well covers it.

Your 2004 should have & should take the Elastomer belt (look at the alternator pulley & IF it has a freewheeling pulley then it definitely takes the Elastomer belt)-- If no freewheeling alternator pulley then it takes the older Poly-V belt. (so TO BE SURE use alternator pulley type or go by engine number)

The Elastomer belt is tensioned by PULLY SPACING not adjuster stud torque or the 1/4 twist method.

CAUTION: if you try the double nut or acorn nut adjustment method on the Elastomer belt you will more than likely strip or break the alternator adjuster. Never use the alternator stud/ratchet to (properly) adjust an Elastomer belt.

Kenneticut

OK . next question is: how much disassembly is required?

Video I found shows motor out on a stand!

Tank, snorkels, radio box anything else? Will I need to move shock?

Bill_Walker

With a stock shock, you won't need to move the shock. With an Ohlins shock, you may need to move the shock depending on the spring orientation on the shock, i.e., where the spring coils line up relative to the space needed to get the inner lip on the front cover over the alternator pulley. I have to move the shock on my bike.

Kenneticut

Thanks guys done, but dam I think the fuel line connectors leak. Wher to get those metal replacements?

Archived