IGNORED

When is the best time to see Pikes Peak?

Runnor

I'm getting the urge for a short road trip. I'm thinking of a long weekend trip from the home in Kansas City to Colorado Springs, and back in three days. Basic point is to get out on the highway on the 2010 1200RT and ride up to Pikes Peak, then turn it around and ride it home. Aside from the hot drive across Kansas, when is the best time make this trip to have the best chance of good weather at the top of Pikes Peak?

Anybody familiar with the weather patterns there?

Thanks

Firefight911

Avoid June 19 through June 29 unless you are going for the Hill Climb.

LINKY

I would take a look at your long range (10 day outlook) weather and plan some time in July to early September.

Any time you throw in elevation with mountainous terrain there will always be the weather swings which can happen rather quickly but I don't think you could go wrong any time within that time frame.

The views are pretty spectacular depending on the day. For me, it is so unfortunate that it is now a fully paved road all the way to the summit. I last rode it during its last year with dirt. Such a sad time to have lost that feature to the trip.

Enjoy!!! You won't regret it.

We live in Colorado Springs... my advice is to wait at least until after the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb.... here is a link.

http://www.ppihc.com

Notice there is the Fan Fest gathering downtown on June 26th. That is a lot of fun although it may not match your travel plans. The competitors will be on the downtown streets and you can see the cars/bikes and meet the riders.

I was able to meet, shake hands and chat with Guy Martin. That was a treat.

Weather here has been pretty intense this season and the snow pack on P.P. may be heavy. I suggest scouting around on the web to find weather and road reports.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Based on the amount of rain in that area last July, I'd wait until long after monsoon season.

Like others, I suggest you wait until July. Once here plan on riding up the Pike's Peak Highway early in the morning so as to avoid our almost daily rainstorm that forms around noon to 1 p.m. timeslot and dumps around 1:30 to 2.

I can't really speak to the weather conditions or patterns specific to Pikes Peak, but as beemerboy notes, time of day should be a prime consideration for you whenever traveling above treeline during the summer months. Intense electrical storms are common at elevation most afternoons in July and August. Experienced peak-baggers follow the general guideline to start heading back down by noon.

A short detour through Garden of the Gods on your descent would be a nice complement to the day.

DaveinNCMn

I lived in Colorado for over 30 years. In my opinion, it would be during the week in mid-late September....when the aspen are showing all their glorious colors.

Most "touristing" is done for the season at that time too as the little darlings are (or should be) back in school. On weekends, many of the locals are out taking in the annual aspen show.

Lived in the Springs for a while, uncanny how the afternoon thunderstorms roll through, morning would definitely be the right time of day. If you haven't read it I'd refer to "the Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado" by Steve Farson. Might be another ride that calls you even more than The Peak. Course you could spend weeks in Colorado and still have lots of great rides left to look forward to. Make that ride across Kansas worth it, would be a bad deal to ride there and a freaky weather front ruin it.

Lived in the Springs for a while, uncanny how the afternoon thunderstorms roll through, morning would definitely be the right time of day. If you haven't read it I'd refer to "the Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado" by Steve Farson. Might be another ride that calls you even more than The Peak. Course you could spend weeks in Colorado and still have lots of great rides left to look forward to. Make that ride across Kansas worth it, would be a bad deal to ride there and a freaky weather front ruin it.

What he said /\.

+1 on Steve's book. Worth every penny and he rode every road.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Forgot. Whilst in the area, go and check out Cripple Creek and Victor on the west side of the mountain. Very cool old mining towns and mine. Same caveat regarding rain but, seemed to start a few hours earlier than on the east side.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I read every reply and appreciate all of them.

The consensus is to wait until at least the July/August time, and maybe after Labor Day. I'll take your advice and hold off on that trip for a while longer. We're about to be grandparents for the first time in about three weeks, and the son and daughter in law live in Wichita, KS, so maybe that'll be my sooner getaway.

Thanks again

+2 on Steve Farson's book. It's a great resource (and he's a nice guy). I almost threw that out there, but you seemed directed about Pike's Peak. Lots of other great canyon roads along the front range (below treeline and a little less exposed).

Congratulations, Grandpa. Time to start shopping for a PW 50...

PW%2050_zpsr6b53mfy.jpg

Runnor, I have been meaning to mention that the local paper, the Gazette, ran the lead story a few days ago... of the tourists departing the Cog Railway... the train that goes up to Pikes Peak.

The photo showed the fellow in the "tunnel" from the train to the gift shop... where the snow is ... 15... FEET deep at the moment.

FYI

Archived