IGNORED

California Blitz

Rinkydink

Good Memorial Day Holiday to all! My gal and I are flying to San Fran and making a mad dash (by cage😟) and would love some sightseeing ideas from you world travelers. Headed north on Hwy 1 to Leggett then to Sacramento for the Sacramento Mile. Off to Lake Tahoe, thru Yosemite, and Kings Canyon. Then West to Cambria and back up coast to San Fran. Of course seeing all the SF sights b4 we head out. I know this is an ambitious plan for a mere week vacation but Clark Griswold has nothing on me, yuk yuk.

TIA

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Your Cambria leg will put you close enough to maybe make this detour.

The Hitching Post in Casmalia for an incredible steak (or whatever) dinner cooked over oak. It is a must stop for us. $40ish bucks for a ribeye that you will remember.

I always try to take 89 out of SLT to the intersection with 395. It's a wonderful m/c road but good in a car too.

. . . Off to Lake Tahoe, thru Yosemite, and Kings Canyon. . . .

TIA

Just so you know, there is no east-to-west connection through Kings Canyon. One way in then turn around and go back the same way. You can get through Yosemite, Tioga Road is open. Heading into Kings Canyon, stop at the Grant Grove for an easy stroll to see the Sequoia trees. If you like caves, there is one (Boyden Cave) heading down into Kings Canyon.

Have fun!

Thanks for the replies. While in San Fran I've noticed so many foreign languages but they all speak fluent English. It makes me wonder why all of our immigrants can't do that......

Mister Tee
Thanks for the replies. While in San Fran I've noticed so many foreign languages but they all speak fluent English. It makes me wonder why all of our immigrants can't do that......

Go across the Bay to Oakland, you'll see a difference.

How many languages do you speak? It is one of the failures the primary education system, in my era at least, that most of us are not bilingual.

• 1 month later...

None, but if I chose to live in another country I would learn their language to the best of my ability.

Bill_Walker

Because lots of our immigrants are from very poor areas of their countries (or from poor countries) and haven't had the benefit of a broad education. In some cases, they can barely read.

You're not going to run into a lot of poor immigrants in San Francisco, unless they're working as dishwashers or maids. Most Europeans and many Asians these days learn English, partly because it is the language of the Internet.

But it reminds me of an old joke:

A person who can speak two languages is called bilingual.

A person who can speak three language is called trilingual.

What do you call a person who can only speak one language?

American.

Archived