IGNORED

How to store tunes, not photos, on my iPhone?

Sailorlite

Sailorlite

I think I can start adding music to my iPhone via iTunes (as imported from CDs to my Mac). But I don't have much available memory on the iPhone partly because I seem to have 4,500 photos stored on it. I have no reason to store photos on my iPhone.

There are no photos on the iPhone that I haven't already imported to the Mac (in my Photos library), which I believe is called syncing. They're all backed up in iCloud and on the Mac's Time Machine external drive.

My question is, can I increase my iPhone's music capacity by deleting most of those photos? If I delete the photos now on the iPhone, are they also deleted from my Mac? If so, that would be very bad. What happens on my Mac if I delete photos from my iPhone? I want tunes, not photos, on my iPhone.

You can delete the photos on the iphone and they'll still be on the mac if you've downloaded properly. Turn off the photo syncing in itunes so that those downloaded photos will not be reuploaded to the iphone.

When syncing music, check the songs you want and select to sync only those that are checked, otherwise, itunes tries to shove every song you have onto your limited memory iphone. With 77gb of music, I'd need a bigger iphone.

szurszewski
You can delete the photos on the iphone and they'll still be on the mac if you've downloaded properly. Turn off the photo syncing in itunes so that those downloaded photos will not be reuploaded to the iphone.

When syncing music, check the songs you want and select to sync only those that are checked, otherwise, itunes tries to shove every song you have onto your limited memory iphone. With 77gb of music, I'd need a bigger iphone.

Yes - as stated, all in the setup in iTunes - ASSUMING you are using iTunes to control you iPhone. You can set it to sync wirelessly every time your iPhone is on the same wifi network and plugged in to power (does NOT have to be plugged in to your computer). You'll want to set it so the photos are deleted after import, and that it does not sync any part of your photo library back to your phone.

Depending on how big your library is, how much space your phone has, and what parts of your library you want, there are options to sync songs, as stated above, or artists/albums/genres/playlists as you check them. You can also just tell it to put on as much music as possible, but then you will get whatever it puts on, and your phone will essentially be full which is a hassle when you want to take a bunch of pics/videos or put on some new apps.

One thing I do with my phone is tell it to keep all photos from the past 12 months on there - that way, even if I just synced it, I can pull up a pic I took recently that I want to show someone.

There's also the option of using Apple's Match service, which uploads all your music to the cloud and then lets you put any song on your phone from anywhere anytime. I did that because I also have a large music library (not 77GB, but close :) ) - the service is relatively cheap ($24 a year or so I think) but it doesn't work as well as they would say. I have upgraded to 128GB phone and keep meaning to ditch Match and put all my music back on there, but it's a low priority. Problems with Match are that if you are not on wifi you have to use data to download tracks, which can take a lot of data if you want to add a large playlist or several albums, and it can be slow or just not work depending on the cell service.

Archived