IGNORED

Another new wethead rider. First time BMW rider.

RichR1200RT

RichR1200RT

Hello everyone,

I'm new to BMW bikes. I just picked up a new Ebony 2015 R1200RT. I have been riding Harley's for the past 40 years so needless to say this is quite a change. I recently had some knee and hip work and a bike that is 400 pounds lighter is very nice. My bike has audio, nav, electronic suspension and a few other really cool goodies. I so far love the way it rides and handles especially 2 up. I'm still trying to figure everything out but this sure looks like a great place to get some help when needed. Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone and ride safe.

Rich

realshelby

Welcome Rich!

You couldn't hardly find two bikes with more different "mannerisms". You will be learning about things on your new RT for quite a while. Many are covered in the owners manual but a lot will be learned while riding the bike and looking it over. It has a height adjustment for the seat and that can really help the knees on longer rides.Like every bike I have owned there are things that can upgrade its comfort. You have a whole new world to enjoy!

John in VA

Welcome Rich! You'll find this forum a great resource.

To me a motorcycle is all about the motor -- handling and features are important but in the end we're all just straddling a motor with its attributes and peculiarities. You chose another twin, and although the HD and BMW motors are very different, they still have a vibe unlike nervous triples, fours or sixes. Enjoy!

Hmm... that brings back memories of the old Audi 5000 tv ads with the lab-coated German engineer touting its 5-zylinder engine: "Four vas too small, und six vas too bulky!" That motor's gone but will we ever see a 5 on a motorcycle?

Welcome Rich,

I also rode Harleys for forty years and several other brands my first ten years of riding before I bought my first Beemer a little over five years ago , a used 04RT with 17,000 miles on it for $7,000 found it on EBay , rode it for 4.5 years put 90,000 miles on it and traded it in ($4,500 ) on my 14RTLC . I'll never buy another Harley ,over priced , over weight and under powered . You are going to love your new bike ,it is a whole different world on a Beemer. Enjoy the ride and keep it rubber side down .

Dave Stephens

I'll chime in here as well. I grew up riding Hondas and for the last 11 years I rode a Harley Road King Classic. It was a great bike (earned my Iron Butt designation on it) and never gave me any problems. I got tired of the whole pirate experience and was ready to switch to BMW. I picked up my new RT a week ago and get this...I never even test rode it prior to buying it and riding away from the dealership. Now that's faith right there.

#lovemyrt

Congrats Dave! :thumbsup: Funny no test ride for me either and the second I rolled out of the dealership's parking lot all or any apprehension I had was gone. And this was coming from the mighty fine K 1600 GT.

Pics Pics! :grin:

Pat

Rich...

Welcome on board.

I see you are in Wisconsin... Look around the forum here and notice there will be a gathering in Warrens, WI next month.

Come on out and meet some Sport touring people.

Didn't mean to seem rude, Rich. I mistook this thread for another that I replied to so I just read and replied to the bottom post. (Which I meant too! ;):grin: )

Whew...with that out of the way congrats on the new ride and welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Pat

• 5 weeks later...

Well I was new last summer to BMW after riding Honda all my life. The last was a 1500 cc 1999 Valkyrie interstate. That bike was awesome but heavy and finally I got tired of man handling it. With this bike a 1999 model, nothing failed!

Now riding a 2007 R1200RT with 15K miles on the odometer. All that went wrong so far was the ABS system, but I fixed it, search the hexheads you will find the fix if interested. So far my opinion of BMW is not good. These bikes ride great and have nice features. But the failures are unacceptable. I am keeping the bike longer but from what I read the final drive is likely to fail next!

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to BMW. Riding 2015 R1200RT. I have found almost nothing about final drive oil requirement. My dealer says 75w140 syn. The little I have found on the internet says that is absolutely wrong. Now what?

While it's under warranty, I'd go with the dealers / BMW's specs. Congrats on your new BMW. Just curious, what were you riding previously?

The specification for the FD oil is the same as it had always been for prior models 1200RT, which is "Gear oil (Castrol SAF-XO)". You will have problems finding that specific oil here in the US, and many of us uses the Land Rover Gear Oil LRN 7591, which has the exact same specification. Oh, this is 75w-90 GL5 gear oil.

Archived