IGNORED

New "shoes" for my baby

beamergirl

Fronts are a size 120/70ZR17 going with Metzlers Z6s (front and rear).

Rear is a 180/55ZR17 - now the question:

Ride solo, no heavy luggage on back - do I HAVE to get the "B" rated tire? If I don't, will it jeopardize the handling of the bike and cause safety issues or create issues with BMW?

Want to order these and get a lesson on tire changing/balancing (yep, can change a car tire just never done a mc) grin.gif - can't wait to do this!

Hmmm, well ... the B designated Metzler is, I think, the recommended tire for the RS from that manufacturer. Believe it has a thicker sidewall/bead than standard for coping with the permissible gross weight. "Do I HAVE to get ...". Hmmm, well ... sort of like asking if you HAVE to get a 180 rear. In other words, why not?

Between the standard and B; handling - nothing heard (a good thing), safety - nothing heard (a good thing), BMW issues - only they can answer (but expect not). I believe that wear is the primary difference but don't have any concrete evidence.

Have fun with the lessons.

If you're going to be doing primarily one-up, the non-B tire is probably the better choice, since you'd get a better ride. The 'B' is identical, except for stiffer sidewalls for mostly fully loaded duty. If you check the regular tires' rated capacity, it covers anything short of full GVWR.

In fact, BMW recommends many tires which don't offer the infamous 'B' rating, like the Conti Road Attacks I currently use. Bottom line, you don't have to believe any of us; just read the rated capacity on your sidewall and if you're going to stay within it, you're fine; that's why those numbers are there.

JC

I can't tell if you've already decided on the Metzlers. If so, please ignore what follows.

I was never so happy to get rid of the Metzlers as I was for my K1200RS. Compared to almost every other Spot Touring brand/model, the Metzlers are heavy handling (slow rolling/turning), and wear more quickly. Stability while cornering is their strong point, but they are no more stable than Michelin Pilot Roads, and only a touch more so than Avon Azaros. Both those tires least 8,500 miiles for me versus 6,000 for the Metzlers.

Tha Azaros are also softer riding than the Metzlers, much like the Dunlop D220 and Bridgestone BT020.

The Avon Azaros also have a far superior feel while cornering, and the highest traction levels in dry or wet conditions in this class of tire.

We all have our favorites, as the several tire threds about the RS depicts. Few choose the Metzlers beyond reasons of brand confidence. They are good tires, but have been left behind in all performance elements including mileage.

Best wishes with your choice.

Shaun, JC and Dick,

Thank you for your responses. Yes tires are already ordered, Metzler Z6s (rear w/B rating).

Searches/questions asked, phone calls made all came back with different answers/reasons to go one way or the other. In conclusion if you ask 10 different people, you'll likely get 10 different answers eek.gif

So this time will be Metzlers which will last me this riding season, then think I'll try the Avons - then try the Road Pilots - comes down to personal preference.

Thanks again for the input.

With some coaching from Jeff, Thank You, the old tires came off rather quickly clap.gif

New ones will be here 3/2, take old off rims, new on and then we'll see if they mount back on with no skin loss.

It'll be torture if warm weather comes back and can't go out for ride:

IMG_4402.jpg[/img]

De,

I can't tell from you photo, so I will offer this quick observation, if I may....

While the wheels are off the bike, the calipers have nothing holding the pads in, and one accidental bump of either brake lever - hand or foot - will have you cursing, cleaning up brake fluid, and buying more for the bleeding session to come! tongue.gif

An ounce of prevention can be had by finding a thin block of wood to fit where the rotors fit, or else do what you can to immobilize the levers. For example, when I remove the front wheel, I take a BRIGHTLY colored cloth and wad it between the grip and the brake lever.

Regardless of the brand, new tires will ALWAYS feel great! Just remember to be bodacious about doing some heat cycles to finish curing the rubber, to get the new-ness out; that's more important than scrubbing the release compound off, IMHO.

Ta ta for now... thumbsup.gif

Denny,

Ideas, suggestions, recommendations from damhik(s), etc. are always welcome grin.gif

Not sure what we did is enough then, we hung the calipers with zip ties, you can kinda see the rear one on a black zip hanging. So then, temperature outside is chillin, just came back in from the garage after putting thin pcs. of wood between brake pds. Thank you and will pass that ounce of prevention along thumbsup.gif

New tires arrived right on schedule, they sure smell purdy!

IMG_4482.jpg[/img]

Saturday went over to Jeff's and he coached me on this tire changer, got old tires off the rims after a few darns grin.gif His friend Dan came over with the Marc Parenes (spelling?) balancer and did the rims, he was impressed with the rear rim and said I had a "really good one" thumbsup.gif. With a few more darns, we got new rubber on rims and balanced them up (had to have the balancing part explained a few times confused.gif, sorry Dan). Glad he warned us about the popping sound tires makes when air is put in eek.gif Here they are ready to go on:

IMG_4491.jpg[/img]

So, today, Jeff was kind to come over and coach installing tires back onto bike. I know my torxes from my hexes now, that's for sure tongue.gif Use to interchange themteeth.gif (won't be doing that anymore!). Calipers are a little tricky and not so sure the smaller hands make a difference:

IMG_4492.jpg[/img]

The one front caliper was a bear, until just the right angle was found.

Thank you Jeff and Dan, couldn't have done this without ya!

Now for some warmer weather, a few trial runs, and taking off the newness - she's ready for this seasons' riding cool.gif

Searches/questions asked, phone calls made all came back with different answers/reasons to go one way or the other. In conclusion if you ask 10 different people, you'll likely get 10 different answers...

grin.giftongue.gif

I'm a geologist, I'm trained in the concept of "multiple working hypotheses". Ask five geologists a question and they'll give you 50 different (and very likely all plausible) answers!

Maybe Dick rides differently than I do, but I had exactly the opposite experience with tires on my RT. The Bridgestones wore out so fast it was unbelieveable, and cupped so badly (especially the front) that the tire felt like a knobby after 4000 miles. I ran through two sets of Dunlop D220's and got about 6K rear, 9K front and they wore pretty well (evenly). I'm on my second set of MEZ6's and just love them, get about the same mileage out of them, but they seem to be the best fit for my riding style and my bike. I think one reason I don't get more miles from tires is that we have really rough chip-sealed roads out here with lots of those nasty twists and turns.

I have Metzeler Tourances on my GS and they seem to wear nicely too, but are much better on asphalt than dirt. I replaced a set of Michelin Macadams with a set of Metzeler Lasertec's on my K75 and they are a vast improvement. I think you'll like the Z6's just fine. I seem to be Brand Loyal here!

As with all things, you will need to experiment with the setup to get it right for your style and your bike. The fun part is wearing the tires out!

And BTW, mounting and balancing your own motorcycle tires is not all that difficult, don't be intimidated. The first (and last) set of tires I had a dealer swap on my RT cost more than $450 - over half was labor. Think about that while you work! Good luck!

Doug

Maybe Dick rides differently than I do, but I had exactly the opposite experience with tires on my RT. The Bridgestones wore out so fast it was unbelieveable...

Were you referring to me?

I mean it's OK with me for us to disagree smile.gif - but if it was me you were referring to I don't think we do:

...as I was for my K1200RS

You were talking about an RT, right?

But, on my own RT, I found the BT54 was very long lived and the front only cupped slightly. On the other hand. of the BT020s the rear lasted as well as the BT054 but the front tracked rain grooves in a terrible fashion (as it did on Laney's RS) and did cup quite a bit as you experienced. For me, both Bridgestones outlasted the MEZ4s by a factor of 1.6 or more. I never put MEZ6s on it though.

Best wishes.

RedHawK12GT

So, today, Jeff was kind to come over and coach installing tires back onto bike. I know my torxes from my hexes now, that's for sure tongue.gif Use to interchange themteeth.gif (won't be doing that anymore!). .jpg[/img][/img]

Thank you Jeff and Dan, couldn't have done this without ya!

bncry.gif Thanks for posting pic of me without my hair combed (WHAT HAIR?).

Glad to help, where's my beer?.

Hey guys, this is one "hands on" woman, she basically did it on her own. To add, I have Z6's (Metzelers) on my '04 K12GT, I wouldn't trade for anything. The stock Bridgestone's were CRAP, and cupped badly at 5,000k. I even bought a new "spare" set of Z6's, in case I put on a lot of miles before National Rally week-end. Bye De.

Hey, 60 degrees on Saturday, we going?, Dan's game.

You'll be hearing from us, the forecast looks good cool.gif IF weather holds out may be riding to Syracuse Sunday (Mother-in-laws 90th birthday!) No time like the present to get the newness off these tires!

Again, a big thank you; got Dan covered and I'll settle with you later thumbsup.gif

Archived