IGNORED

No fast idle after cables replaced

indy

I'm 100% sure this is self induced. I just replaced all my throttle cables plus the cable box but left the fast idle cable alone and didn't replace the cable. After R&R'ing the cables and doing a throttle body sync, all seems well. Throttle is much much easier and the bike runs fine. But the fast idle doesn't do a damn thing. I can pull up on the adjuster and nothing happens, no difference in idle speed. I pretty sure the cable isn't broken and is still attached in the box but .

So it looks like I'll be starting from scratch and re-do the TB sync. I checked to make sure with no tension on the throttle the TB's are closed. I can hear them slam shut at the stops when I twist the grip and let it go.

Any helpful hints on what to keep an eye out for would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Indy

2002 R1150RT

I had the same problem after replacing my cables. Not all is lost. Check your idle freeplay. There is a specific amount of freeplay suggested in the manual if you want to be more specific. There are the barrel adjusters on your throttle bodies. If you have too much slack at closed throttle, the fast idle will just take up that slack and have no impact on fast idle. You do not have to mess with your idle stop screws for this.

Afternoon Indy

That is a very common issue when replacing cables.

Most of the problem is caused by not backing off the upper main cable adjuster (up by the twist grip under the little boot) before making lower cable adjustments.

The first suggestion (also suggested above) is to go by the BMW manual & re-do all the cable adjustments (paying attention to the pre-adjustment upper main cable back-off)

If you want to try to cheat then maybe JUST adjust the choke cable a bit longer (cable adjuster is up by the L/H fast idle (choke) lever) under the rubber boot.

Thanks for the hints. After reading them I had a DOH! moment and understand WTF is wrong. One other thing I noticed is I have a bit of slop from off throttle to were it just starts to roll on. Just enough to be a nuisance in a corner, kind of jerks when I begin to roll on the power on.

Thanks for the help!

Indy

One other thing I noticed is I have a bit of slop from off throttle to were it just starts to roll on. Just enough to be a nuisance in a corner, kind of jerks when I begin to roll on the power on.

Afternoon Indy

After it's all set up by the manual THEN you can go back & tweak the main cable adjuster (up by the twist grip) to take most or all of that slack out.

You may also have too much slack in your lower throttle cables. I'm sure there is a spec, but I like to go with "just a little more than zero."

Archived