IGNORED

Garmin Zumo 590 - charging

AndyS

I have a Garmin Zumo 590.

Is there a trick to getting it to charge fully?

I have tried plugging it into the computer via its USB lead and it barely indicates half full, and then instantly drops of to nothing.

Also tried plugging it into a USB mains charger (rated at 2A) still the same result.

Thirdly I have had it sat in the bike dock (which is only powered up when the bike is on, but after a weeks touring, still shows next to nothing.

Finally I replaces the complete unit with Garmin (Sat nav and battery). Using options 1 & 2 above, it still does the same thing.

Any thoughts on how to get it to charge?

Hi Rex. I'd agree, but being the second unit and the second battery, the odds are low. All ideas are gratefully received though.

Stan Walker

Is there a trick to getting it to charge fully?

Of course there is!!!! :)

Have you tried the following.?

Fully discharge the unit.

Fully charge the unit without interrupting the charge cycle.

Modern electronics doesn't really measure the battery directly. They do a software "gas gauge". This much time on at this much draw reduces the battery charge this much. This much time on a charger at this much current increases the battery charge this much. All theoretical. But it has to have a starting point, usually a totally discharged battery. Sometimes a totally charged battery too.

By the way, I'm a 590 owner too but don't have this problem.

Staqn

Afternoon Andy

Look on page 18 of your owners manual. Look under battery gauge doesn't seem accurate. (pretty well tells you what Stan posted).

Hi Stan & DR.

Tried that, but still no joy.

However, someone has suggested that I try to force the unit 'off' after plugging in the charger. (by default the screen becomes active and I am guessing is consuming most of the charge).

I will give that a go.

Thanks

Thanks for the help.

attaching it to the charger then forcing the unit off has achieved the objective.

Thanks for the help.

Stan Walker

Glad you found a solution. Sounds like your charger is undersized!

I've never tried using USB for charging. Always used 12 volts from vehicle. Never had a problem.

Stan

Archived