IGNORED

I don't think it supposed to sound like this.

Rougarou

I recently changed the tranny fluid and just happened to notice an odd sound.....maybe it was there before the lube change maybe it wasn't, I dunno. In the video, the quiet is when I pull the clutch in, the racket is the clutch release. Sometimes, I can release the clutch and just have engine idle sound. Also, I've noticed when downshifting, it has that grindy/meshy sound. Could the tranny be getting ready to die or could it be something cheaper? Bike has only 72k on it and tranny fluid is changed every 24k with 75w/90 synthetic.

Evening Richard

That thing sounds loose inside.

Are you sure it has gear oil in it?

Any chance you saved the removed gear oil? If so then strain it through a coffee filter or paper towel, then take the filter out in the sun & look for sparkles.

If you didn't save the old gear oil then ride if a SHORT while then drain the gear oil & run that through a coffee filter or paper towel.

Problem sounds internal to trans but recording sounds makes them sound different than in person so could also be in the clutch/clutch spline area.

I do have the oil and will strain it tomorrow after work. I checked the level right before this video was shot and as soon as I popped the fill off, fluid slowly started to seep out,...yep, it's full.

Also, on the downshift, the whine that happens reminds me of a Honda Civic that I once had. Shortly after the whine on down shifting started happening, the tranny had to be replaced because it completely died.

I assume the sound changed when you pulled in the clutch lever?

It sounds like the clutch actuating rod is rattling around, and making noise.

Mine will make a little more noise when the clutch lever isn't pulled in but nothing like your video.

Just something to check.

My '09 RT w/ 71K miles also does that (transmission rattle with clutch released) but since I didn't make a video the way you did I can't comment on the quality or intensity. The rattle seems to go away just off idle. What I've heard that attributed to is the fact that on a twin the crankshaft accelerates and decelerates each revolution, and what you're hearing is the slap of the gears as the transmission input accelerates and decelerates with it. Once you put a load on the gears they stay tight with each other and you don't hear that.

It seems to me that I didn't start noticing the noise until I put XAF-SO 75W-90 full syn in the transmission the last change at 48K, about two years ago. (May be my overly active imagination...) I still have some of the previous BMW dino 75W-90 that I used to use, so next change (this weekend, coincidentally) I'll try that and see if the rattle goes away.

JayJay

Thanks for the replies.....it's going to the shop tomorrow for the wheel flange replacement so I'll have them check it out.......it just sounds expensive :(

Technician stated the likely culprit, without tearing it apart, is the intermediate shaft and one or more bearings. He suggested that I locate me a used tranny as the BMW prices would add up quite quickly.

Funny thing is, this morning riding into the dealership, the racket wasn't as prevalent. I would come to a stop, put the bike in neutral, cycle the clutch and nothing, quiet. When I got to the shop and cycled the clutch, if I let it out hard, it wold start the rattle whereas before, just letting the clutch out softly would start the rattle.

Matts_12GS
Technician stated the likely culprit, without tearing it apart, is the intermediate shaft and one or more bearings. He suggested that I locate me a used tranny as the BMW prices would add up quite quickly.

Funny thing is, this morning riding into the dealership, the racket wasn't as prevalent. I would come to a stop, put the bike in neutral, cycle the clutch and nothing, quiet. When I got to the shop and cycled the clutch, if I let it out hard, it wold start the rattle whereas before, just letting the clutch out softly would start the rattle.

That means that failure is imminent...

At least it did on mine and one other driveshaft failure.

I'd park it and start searching the web for a transmission

That means that failure is imminent...

At least it did on mine and one other driveshaft failure.

I'd park it and start searching the web for a transmission

I agree with Matt. As you might expect the debris from the failing parts is finding its way into all areas of the transmission setting off a chain of destruction. This seems to also be what happens on the driveshafts. As I've mentioned before my shaft went from quiet and no indications to destroyed in less than 50 miles.

Doesn't sound cheap.

Nah, it doesn't. I'm going to be taking it by Bombar's Beemer's for a second opinion. I emailed them and he stated that rarely it is the intermediate shaft and a replacement/rebuild is a quick answer and not really a solution.

I've also sourced a possible replacement on ebay,...but awaiting final review if it is even compatible. The model number is for GS but the ad states it will bolt up to a RT. Tranny on ebay.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, here it is....several things wrong, bearings, input shaft, blah, blah, $3200, blah, blah

19154814502_7d254505b0_b.jpg

Ouch! Picture reminds me of the old saw the lady in half trick. :grin:

$uck$, but get her running and head for the hills. Good medicine! :thumbsup:

hqdefault.jpg

Pat

Well, here it is....several things wrong, bearings, input shaft, blah, blah, $3200, blah, blah

Well, that's a damn shame. I had my '09 RT (75K miles) into the dealer for the rear flange recall last week and asked the master tech to take a listen to it. He told me that yes, he heard the noise but that is typical as the bikes get older. He told me that some of the authority bikes really sound nasty. Seems to be clutch-related but even replacing the clutch won't get rid of it completely. Suggested I leave it alone.

Mine does have a rattle, but I don't think it's as pronounced as your video seems to indicate. And I've never had the "grindy/meshy" sound you report.

So I'm going to let it be and ride it. I suspect that if/when I do a clutch that I'll tear into the transmission and see what's what. But for now, not.

And I presume your $3200 includes shop labor, right? I hope it's not that for parts alone! That's almost what a new tranny would be.

JayJay

I was thinking, mine makes some noise when the clutch isn't pulled it, nothing to worry about. then I clicked on "listen". :eek: Yeah, my '05 RT with 116k does not make scary noises like that.

Well, that's a damn shame. I had my '09 RT (75K miles) into the dealer for the rear flange recall last week and asked the master tech to take a listen to it. He told me that yes, he heard the noise but that is typical as the bikes get older. He told me that some of the authority bikes really sound nasty. Seems to be clutch-related but even replacing the clutch won't get rid of it completely. Suggested I leave it alone.

Mine does have a rattle, but I don't think it's as pronounced as your video seems to indicate. And I've never had the "grindy/meshy" sound you report.

So I'm going to let it be and ride it. I suspect that if/when I do a clutch that I'll tear into the transmission and see what's what. But for now, not.

And I presume your $3200 includes shop labor, right? I hope it's not that for parts alone! That's almost what a new tranny would be.

JayJay

Yep, it includes labor, but it's only a working invoice. Really depends on if he finds anything else wrong with it.

Ouch! Picture reminds me of the old saw the lady in half trick. :grin:

$uck$, but get her running and head for the hills. Good medicine! :thumbsup:

Pat

Ya, definitely. But looks like this years "riding" season will be cut short. European vacation in the middle of July. Mid August, my work is sending me overseas for two months, back in mid October,....at least some late fall rides, then for those that I know, it'll be me riding alone throughout the winter until the temps rise above 60 so that the fair weather riders can come out and play.

• 1 month later...

Well, I picked up my bike on Saturday and she runs like a dream. Shifts fine, no whining from the tranny, no rattles and hopefully good for a long while to come (enough to build my emergency repair budget back up anyway).

Many thanks go out to Peter and James at Bombar's Beemers for getting the work completed under the estimated costs.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2008 BMW R1200R with 54,000 miles on it. When I have the bike in neutral and let out the clutch it sounds very much like yours did. I took it to the dealer and one of the techs listened to it and said it was just normal gearbox noise. He said that if it starts whining then there is a problem.

What does your bike sound like now that it is fixed and back? Is the rattle still there? Is it quiet?

This is my first BMW and I do not think it should sound as bad as it does.

Thanks

Roger L

Don_Eilenberger

Just a fwiw..

Some transmission "knock" seems to be a boxer trait. My '07 R12R with 96,000 miles on it did it. My '12 R12R with 6,000 miles on it does it. If the engine is perfectly smooth at idle it will go away - on either bike, but *perfect* smoothness at idle is actually rather rare on a bike with 600cc cylinders. IF there is whining, or any sign of metal in drained transmission oil then I'd be concerned. There never has been.

Basically it's the "character" of the beast and good ear plugs help a whole lot (bike transmissions are hanging out in the air where ALL the noise can be heard. Try listening to a 4 speed box on a Jag XKE sometime with the padded transmission tunnel cover removed.. you'll be heading for cover. BTDT. Even a modern BMW 6 speed in an M3 is noisy if you're under the car listening.)

I have a 2008 BMW R1200R with 54,000 miles on it. When I have the bike in neutral and let out the clutch it sounds very much like yours did. I took it to the dealer and one of the techs listened to it and said it was just normal gearbox noise.

Morning Roger

That sounds like the normal Neutral Gear Rattle that most BMW 2 cylinder dry clutch bikes have.

Unlike a car or truck with synchronizers the BMW gear box is a constant mesh transmission using shifting dogs so there is no resistance in neutral to keep the gears from rattling on the HARSH 2 cylinder idle power pulses.

Years ago BMW addressed that neutral gear rattle by adding "O" rings to the loose gear fit. That worked as far as neutral gear rattle went but made shifting difficult so BMW eliminated the dampening "O" rings on later transmissions.

As mentioned above-- the noise is also made worse by the transmission being in the open & not shrouded under a vehicles metal floor pan.

The gear rattle is also made worse by the BMW weight saving feature of using a very thin walled trans case to save weight.

Plus the BMW doesn't use a spring center dampened clutch disk (some automobiles are now using dual mass flywheels to dampen trans noises)

As long as the trans rattle is ONLY at idle in neutral then no worries (a couple of BMW service bulletins stating that fact)

My 2005 RT has make similar racket since I picked it up in April of 2005. I say similar because in your video it sounds much louder... but you've got the camera right next to the tranny. I suspect it's not as loud as your video. I had the local dealer install my new clutch back in May and the rattle is unchanged. Also, the mechanics there made no mention of it. There may be nothing wrong at all. If you don't abuse the gearbox/clutch and your gear oil has been fine, I doubt there's an actual problem. Mine has almost 119k and the gearbox is silk.

Archived