IGNORED

Ehxaust Stud Torque?

Jim Moore

HI Guys,

I pulled a couple exhaust studs when I was trying to get the nuts off. I have a pretty good plan to get them back into place, but I need to know the torque for the studs themselves. I didn't see anything in the manual, but I'm not sure I was looking in the right place. Another question. Should I use locktite on the studs? I have blue stuff and super-duper green stuff.

Edit to add: It's a 94 R1100RS with a 96 RT engine.

Afternoon Jim

I haven't ever seen a torque value for those studs. Most 8x1.25 studs into aluminum are speced to somewhere between 13-15 foot lbs.

Personally I just turn them until tight & call it good.

You can use Loc-Tite if you want but that area runs so hot that the Loc-Tite will not do any good long term.

If you do use Loc-Tite just be sure you use very little & none on the end or the stud as you don't want to hydraulic the hole & damage the cyl head.

Just double nut the stud to install. Once in remove both nuts.

Denny Pink

Hi Jim;

Apply copper based anti seize to studs.

Exhaust header nuts torque to 15 ft lbs.

Easy peazy

Hi Denny,

That torque figure for a stud of that size looks about right. However, where did you get the info from? I can't find it in any of my maintenance documentation.

Morning Andy

Denny is giving the torque for the stud NUTS (flange nuts) not the studs into heads.

1100 is 22nm (16.2' lbs) _(it's in the BMW service manual)

1150 is 21nm (15.5' lbs) _(it's also in the BMW service manual)

Archived