IGNORED

Allowable current on authority switches

kioolt

Does anyone know what the maximum allowable current would be on the R1150RTP auxiliary switches that are mounted on the right hand side? I have an RTP oil cooler fan that I want to use with it and I can't find a current rating on the switch. The fan motor draws 2.8 amps running. I know that I can use a relay but if its not needed it would make the installation easier.

I do not know the rating, but when I did this on an R12RT I used a relay -- I did not like the idea of the switch carrying the full fan load for extended periods, as the wires are a bit on the light side.

In other words, I didn't even entertain the idea of skipping the relay.

Morning kioolt

It isn't just the running amps, or switch, it is also the starting amps & the wire size going to the fan.

The AUX switches can probably handle the running amps but that fan draws enough to eventually erode the switch contacts from fan cycling & internal switch arcing.

A relay is definitely the way to go (should be plenty of unused relays floating around on your RT-P)

I actually don't have an RTP. I just have the authority switches and the fan. As far as the wire size goes I can solder bigger gauge wires directly to the back of the switches. The terminals are exposed and easy to get to.

I actually don't have an RTP. I just have the authority switches and the fan. As far as the wire size goes I can solder bigger gauge wires directly to the back of the switches. The terminals are exposed and easy to get to.

Morning kioolt

It seems about as difficult to solder the larger wires on than just making up a simple relay circuit.

I imagine the handlebar switch will take the fan load-- it's turning it on & off a lot that will probably eventually kill the switch contacts (hopefully they fail open & not fused together closed)

If I were personally doing that install it would, for sure, have a power relay & fuse in the circuit.

I've owned the bike since new and I can only remember one time when I really needed the fan. So I don't expect to have to use it much at all. The only reason I'm putting the fan on the bike now is because I am going to pull a trailer with it. From my past experience of pull the same trailer with my 82 R100RT, I found that on the open highway the fan is not needed. I had an oil temperature gauge on the bike which showed the bike heated very quickly in stop and go traffic with the trailer. I also pulled the trailer with my K100LT and the fan would operate more under the same conditions. I'm going to pull the trailer down to my other home and leave it there for use with my K100LT. This one trip will most likely be the last time I use the trailer with the R1150RT. The person that I bought the fan from has it prewired to a waterproof toggle. I may use it and for the time being just tie wrap it to the handlebar somehow.

Afternoon Kioolt

If you want to make it permanent & do it right here is a relay schematic for you.

Fan%20Relay_zpsdlq33o4q.jpg

Archived