IGNORED

Headed East from TX

walton66

The weather in the northern part of Arkansas had me looking for other riding choices to get east from TX, so I rode east to Vicksburg and then to Tupelo. Found some nice roads along the way including about 20 slow miles on top of a Mississippi River Levee going north from Vicksburg. What a great view from up there. Decided to go from Tupelo to Birmingham to see the Barber Museum. I must say, if you've not yet been there it is a must see. Going west from Florida to Texas, my most fun riding was angling up across Alabama from the Mobile area. To my surprise, I found a route from Tupelo up to Leeds that was 4 hours of great fun. I've never been to Alabama but sure had fun, tomorrow heading up across GA heading to Burnsville NC.

Hope you see this before going too far. Head to Chatsworth, then take 52 from there toward Ellijay, then over to Dahlonega, up to Suches, a quick jaunt on 180, then pick a road toward your destination. Beautiful area - hope the weather holds out.

Bernie, I'm totally sold on both north and south Alabama roads. Good surfaces, scenery and light traffic.

Jake ,thAnks for the advice. I didn't get it til I stopped for the night near Dahlonega so we are on the same wave length. Btw, where are you in south Florida.

Glad to see you are in the hills. I ate far too much chicken once at the Smith House in Dahlonega - easy to do.

I work in Miami, hang my suits up in Plantation, but I live in Lake Placid, near Sebring. That's where the scoots are parked.

Today I rode the BRP, for the first time, from Spruce Pine to where in intersects 441 near Cherokee. It was beautiful, extremely, and the surface was almost without exception really good, the tunnels were strange, and no traffic to speak of the whole way except that stretch near Asheville, but there was no rhythm to the road it seamed. Yesterday I road as far but mostly along rivers and it seamed that one bend flowed into the next, I guess because that's the way the rivers are. On the man made parkway, I didn't get that feeling, but maybe it was just fatigue. Anyone else ever notice this.

Today I rode the BRP, for the first time, from Spruce Pine to where in intersects 441 near Cherokee. It was beautiful, extremely, and the surface was almost without exception really good, the tunnels were strange, and no traffic to speak of the whole way except that stretch near Asheville, but there was no rhythm to the road it seamed. Yesterday I road as far but mostly along rivers and it seamed that one bend flowed into the next, I guess because that's the way the rivers are. On the man made parkway, I didn't get that feeling, but maybe it was just fatigue. Anyone else ever notice this.

Archived