IGNORED

Wondering about comm systems.

don_k

I've been riding with an AirRider comm system in my tank bag for 14 years now and it has given up on me. I want to replace it with another system that uses push to talk (with a button that can be attached to the left hand grip with Velcro). I primarily use it to listen to music from an external device (radio or mp3 player) but also want to be able to connect an FRS,CD, or perhaps a Ham radio to it.

All I seem to be able to find is blue tooth stuff that puts a blob shaped object on the side of the helmet (I expect it will create wind noise) and has a push to talk on the unit itself meaning I'd have to take a hand off the grips to use it. I can't be finding all that is out there so I'm asking for help or idea's.

What is out there nowadays? Anyone have idea's, suggestions, horror stories, etc?

Don Kramber

Bill_Walker

i think Autocom is still around, and their stuff works great. And costs like it. I'm still using my 2005 vintage Autocom system. But nobody I ride with uses FRS bike-to-bike any more. :(

FYI, I've been using SENA Bluetooth intercoms on my helmet(s) for several years. I've never detected any wind noise whatsoever from having the units mounted on the side of my helmet. I ride an RT and I also use earbuds and not in-helmet speakers.

I had (and still have) a wired Autocom system on my bike, but haven't used it since I got the SENAs. I'd never go back, but that doesn't mean you can't find what you want. You still might want to check them (Bluetooth systems) out. I use mine for GPS instructions, rider-pax intercom and, more recently, bike-to-bike.

All I seem to be able to find is blue tooth stuff that puts a blob shaped object on the side of the helmet (I expect it will create wind noise) and has a push to talk on the unit itself meaning I'd have to take a hand off the grips to use it. I can't be finding all that is out there so I'm asking for help or idea's.

Using a Sena SMH10 Bluetooth with both a Schuberth C2 and C3 on my RT, I've found no change in wind noise. Voice activation works well to answer phone calls and to initiate and to respond to the intercom. We do not use VOX with the passenger helmet as it is a noisier helmet and the intercom never shuts off.

YMMV

Antimatter

Likewise, I ride with a Sena SMH-10. VOX works well for me with FF helmet, and I have it linked to my phone via bluetooth (I pull over for calls). I don't, as a rule, listen to music or talk when riding, so I can't speak to it's sound quality. It seems Sena has cornered the market of late.

Don, We use a Sena SMH-10 and it works well, has good volume and long battery life.

We had full Autocomm system for years on the previous bike. Reliable and a little spend but we got our money's worth with the long life of it. Got a little tires of the wires.

and... if you go autocomm... I have the PTT switch I took off before the trade. Sold the base Autocomm AVI Pro but new buyer did not need the PTT switch. PM me if interested.

Don

I switched to the Sena system because i got tired of snagging the intercom wires as I would dismount and also after a few months the wires leading into the helmet would break and then i would have to repair them. the Sena is cool and works very well.

I still have my starcom 1 digital stuff if your interested, PM me,

I'll give it to you

Ditto Sena SMH10.

They just went OFF sale at $299 for dual, now $399 with dual mic kit. But you sound like one of the beemer people with BIG bucks! So, no worries! ha

Glenn Reed

hopz,

Rtinnc linked directly to the Revzilla page selling the Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth Headset Dual Pack, whereas you linked to the Amazon page listing all the different iterations of Sena SMH-10, including single and dual systems and accessories. The most direct comparison would be to the first item in the Amazon results, which shows a price of $289.00, compared to the Revzilla price of $284.25. Not a whole lot of difference.

What was it you found interesting?

Glenn

greiffster

Sena SMH-10 food for thought as I am about to buy another.....

I am not a huge fan of the helmet speakers. Maybe it's my helmet or something, but with earplugs, it's not loud enough. I use the system with a ear buds, particularly the rubber type like Skull Candy.

So if you buy the regular SMH-10 single or dual pack then you have to buy another one or two helmet clamps (if you want to use earbuds). You're paying for stuff you won't use. I already did that. If you will use earbuds with the Sena than you only need this....

Main module about $115

and this...

Helmet clamp for earbuds about $35

Add your favorite earbuds and you're all set. Something to think about.

Antimatter

FYI, in some jurisdictions earbuds are illegal. I'm not saying people don't wear them, but if you get stopped you could get an extra reward on your ticket if the cop sees you pulling them off.

My wife and I compromise on a brand and type of disposable foam earplugs, and to make them work for me I cut them down a bit. With those and the helmet speakers that came with the SMH-10, I can hear phone conversations when parked by the side of the road.

Sena SMH-10 food for thought as I am about to buy another.....

I am not a huge fan of the helmet speakers. Maybe it's my helmet or something, but with earplugs, it's not loud enough. I use the system with a ear buds, particularly the rubber type like Skull Candy.

So if you buy the regular SMH-10 single or dual pack then you have to buy another one or two helmet clamps (if you want to use earbuds). You're paying for stuff you won't use. I already did that. If you will use earbuds with the Sena than you only need this....

Main module about $115

and this...

Helmet clamp for earbuds about $35

Add your favorite earbuds and you're all set. Something to think about.

greiffster
FYI, in some jurisdictions earbuds are illegal. I'm not saying people don't wear them, but if you get stopped you could get an extra reward on your ticket if the cop sees you pulling them off.

Yes, a good point. I think they are illegal in FL. And IL says "for communication only". That would be hard to prove. But yes, check your state for legality.

Archived