IGNORED

r1150rt cat. in muffler, can it get clogged?

Calchpboxster

Calchpboxster

My r1150rt with 170,000 miles seems a little sluggish. It is my understanding that it came with an emissions cat, when was that implemented as law? Or did BMW put it in for a cleaner environment? Either way, do they get clogged and I could possibly gut it and leave everything for a free fix. Sorry if this has been covered before.

My r1150rt with 170,000 miles seems a little sluggish. It is my understanding that it came with an emissions cat, when was that implemented as law? Or did BMW put it in for a cleaner environment? Either way, do they get clogged and I could possibly gut it and leave everything for a free fix. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Evening Calchpboxster

When Cats were implemented on the BMW boxer depends on the model & country but basically ALL the BMW 1150RT's in the USA came factory fitted with catalytic converters. (so if unmodified then your 1150RT has a cat)

Do they plug (VERY SELDOM), can they plug, (yes but again very infrequently.)

Can you gut yours?-- Yes but not easily as you either need to drill a hole in the cat then use long tools, punches, & work your a$$ off to break up the internal cat monolith then fish it ALL out through the inlet & outlet. (it can be done through a 3/4" hole but very time consuming & intense)

Or do as most do & that is to cut the top on the off then beak up the monolith & remove, then weld the top back on (preferably using a TIG & stainless steel rod). Not difficult if you have a welder & can weld but takes expertise to make it look factory & not back alley junk)

It is also against the law to modify your cat & a big fine IF convicted (seldom is anyone ever charged or convicted unless done for profit) but it is still illegal & (IF) they ever decide to go after law breakers the fine could be high.

Archived