IGNORED

Greasing the rear splines

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

With my Hex Head whenever I changed the rear fluid I would check and grease the splines in the rear end since you had to fold the final drive down and expose everything anyway. My dealer tells me that on my Cam Head it really isn't necessary to grease anything for at least the first 50,000 miles. I'm skeptical. What do most of you do?

Doug

Motobricker

Grease is good, but I rode Flying Bricks forever, they always needed grease. And besides, it can't hurt unless you use too much, clean them up, regrease, now you know it is good. And since you said and I agree you are there anyway do it, I do

Guest Kakugo

My Hexhead is almost at the 100.000km mark. Never lubed the splines and dealer said it's not really necessary, so I'll stick to the old saying "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Afternoon Doug

No need to grease the driveshaft to pinion splines. I have seen a verity of driveline failures on the BMW hexhead but never a rear spline failure, never.

Much more apt to fail a drive shaft "U" joint so it wouldn't hurt to inspect those at around 50K on the hexhead, & I suggest, for sure, inspect by 80K.

Jim VonBaden

Typically they will not fail, but they sure can get rusty and stuck. I have seen rusty DS to FD many times, and seen them rust freeze twice. Surprisingly, this happens on both GS and non-GS bikes.

Jim :Cool:

Archived