IGNORED

Final drive outer seal replacement

CVA-42

The other day I noticed that a thin oil film has collected around the final drive outer seal of my '08 1200GS. Coincidentally, the May '15 edition of the MOA Owner's News contains an article covering replacement of the outer seal. It doesn't seem difficult so today I stopped by the dealer and picked up a new seal and seal cover. I wanted a new lock ring as well but they were out of stock. I think I should be able to re-use the original lock ring if I'm careful, though. Before I have at it, I was wondering if any of you have any words of wisdom or tips based on your own experience. Thanks....

dirtrider

Evening CVA-42

As you say, pretty straight forward.

Only thing to watch is just DON'T DRILL TOO DEEP (use a drill bit stop).

There's a complete article on how to do this in the last BMW ON magazine

Yes - - see second sentence of my original post. Just looking for any possible additional hints from people who have done it. I've found several on other forums. Probably don't need to over-think it.

Matts_12GS
There's a complete article on how to do this in the last BMW ON magazine

Yes - - see second sentence of my original post. Just looking for any possible additional hints from people who have done it. I've found several on other forums. Probably don't need to over-think it.

It's not that bad to do.

When we did mine, we used a small drill bit with some masking tape on it as a drill stop. threaded in a small sheet metal screw and used a claw hammer to pull the seal out.

Then, we pulled the screw, set the new seal in place and tapped it in using the old seal as a drift.

Took about 30 minutes with refilling the drive.

Well, not to belabor this but the job's over and I wound up going the sheet metal screw route. I tried fabricating a seal puller but it was no go so I drilled a small hole and threaded in a small screw. I then grabbed it with a vise grip and pulled straight out but the seal still wouldn't budge. Following that, I replaced the small screw with a somewhat larger and longer one. I grabbed onto it with a small cats-paw while using a small piece of quarter-inch ply as a hub protector and fulcrum. Out she popped on the first try. The rest of it was pretty quick. Thanks for the help...

Matts_12GS
Well, not to belabor this but the job's over and I wound up going the sheet metal screw route. I tried fabricating a seal puller but it was no go so I drilled a small hole and threaded in a small screw. I then grabbed it with a vise grip and pulled straight out but the seal still wouldn't budge. Following that, I replaced the small screw with a somewhat larger and longer one. I grabbed onto it with a small cats-paw while using a small piece of quarter-inch ply as a hub protector and fulcrum. Out she popped on the first try. The rest of it was pretty quick. Thanks for the help...

Glad that helped!

Jim VonBaden

Glad that helped!

Yup:

FDSealshots12.jpg

Jim :Cool:

Archived