IGNORED

Which MITYVAC should I use? (poll)

SWB

Which Mityvac do you own?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After reading up on brake bleeding tools, it looks like a Mityvac is a good investment. The problem is that there are multiple models, and I can't figure out which one I should buy.

Goal: Brake bleeding for R1100RT and my cars and trucks. Secondary goal: tool to use for vacume testing purposes, such as leak down testing.

I have a "toy" that will help me bleed via the pedal and handle bar grip, but want something to make the job a little faster (and with less likely hood of getting air into the lines). I have jury rigged a cheap tool to run leak down tests, but that depends on my son not losing the pieces I use from a bicycle pump, vacume gauge, and other tool "sources" - I'd rather have a regular tool for this purpose.

What I've reviewed thus far:

•  
  • There are a couple of high volume pressure bleeders (MV6830 and 07220), but they're (a) dedicated bleeders, and (b) pricy ($100-$120).

• The 04000 and 04050 "Silverline" kits look like a "standard" tool used by professionals. The 04050 is their "top of the line". $75-$80 via Ebay for the 04050, and about $50 for the 04000.

• The 07000 kit is the "original used by professionals" for bleeding, plus "100's of automotive and diagnostic tests". $45.00 shipped via Ebay. Both this and the 4000 series kits have 4.5 oz reservoir bottles and lots of adaptors, and seem to have both "pressure/vacume" pumps.

• The 06820 kit seems to be in the same family as the 04000/04050/07000 kits, but perhaps a bit cheaper (fewer adaptors?) - maybe $33 to $38 shipped via Ebay.

• MV6815/MV6817 "Superpump" seem to be the high volume fluid bleeders with 16oz reservoirs, and the later model handles master cylinders as well. $50.00 shipped via Ebay. But they don't seem to work as vacume testing tools, and I don't own a brake shop.

Opinions? Recommendations?

I've used a modestly priced mityvac (06820, I think) for several years to refresh hydraulic fluid in my auto (accord), as well as my three bikes. My modest unit is plastic, has four ounce reservoir (which needs emptying once or twice per wheel) and no vacume gauge. The extensive (100 page) instruction booklet depicts mightier mityvacs (perhaps those 07220 models) with gauges and look to be made of sturdier stuff than my grey plastic unit. If checking for vacume leaks is one of your intended mityvac tasks, well, vacume gauge seems like a must have; OTOH, for refreshing hydraulic fluid, my "el cheapo" does the trick.

Wooster

I voted 06820 in first two questions yet abstained in third

Oh yah, given the electoral nature of this post, I must say, in democracy, it's your vote that counts;

in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

I've got the equivalent of a MityVac MV6830 from another manufacturer. This is the one you hook up to your air compressor and it uses the Venturi effect to create a vacuum, which you then use to suck the brake fluid out of the lines.

Pros:

Awesome for sucking the brake fluid out of the reservoir, or for sucking the fluid out of brake/clutch lines you're about to replace.

Provides a large bottle to hold used fluid.

Looks like a Serious Mechanic's Tool.

Cons:

Pricey.

Can empty the reservoir in short order while you're bleeding.

Despite use of grease on the threads, etc., I've never been able to keep it from sucking air in around the bleed screw threads, so it never actually stops showing bubbles in the bleed line!

Result:

I've got a really expensive and cool tool that I use for sucking old brake fluid out of reservoirs and lines, but not for actually bleeding brakes.

Operator error could of course be a factor in my troubles. Or maybe the recommended input pressure is too high for use on bikes.

After seeing SpeedBleeders in action at our recent TechDaze, I'm just going to slap 'em on all my bleed fittings and not worry about it any more. We bled three or four complete 1150 Evo/power/ABS systems with nothing fancier than a syringe to suck dirty fluid out of reservoirs. Some bikes had SpeedBleeders and some didn't. The SpeedBleeder-equipped bikes were one-man operations, the non-SB bikes were two-man (those being minimum requirements, of course. We sometimes had a Lever Squeezer, Fluid Output Monitor, Fluid Input Monitor, Bleed Fitting Operator, Orchestration Director ["Squeeze. Open. Close. Release."], and two or three Kibitzers, er, Quality Control Inspectors).

I have the cheap plastic one. A mechanic friend gave it to me in very used condition 20 years ago. I used it on my bike until about three years when the plastic handle broke. I wrote the company bitching that their product had failed after only 20 years of abusive use--they promply sent a new one free. I was stunned, and am still using the new one. You can buy an expensive version but not needed for motorcycles. Even the cheap one is good quality.

I don't like putting the brake system below atmospheric pressure. I prefer speed bleeders. --Jerry

I've got both and my vote is for the speed bleeders.

Question: I searched "speed bleeder" of the forum and came up with several complaints that one or more of the bleeders received were poorly manufactured and the check ball did not reset (I guess that is the correct term) and allowed air into the system and fluid to leak. Also, saw comments that SBs difficult to thread because shape of SB different from BMW bleed valves. Finally, the sealant in the SBs wears off after some (extended?) use and the bottle of sealant purchased from the company does not work well to fix the problem.

You folks that have SBs installed, what has been your experience?

I also saw that someone suggested a check valve device sold by Motion Pro that you just attach to a regular bleed valve during bleeding and it serves the same purpose as a Speed Bleeder. Anyone using this?

Cheers

tkb

I am guessing that I own and use the 4000. Not exactly sure, but a quick eBay search says that mine looks like the 4000. It is a cast system, has a gauge and a bunch of fittings. Works great. I bought it ~5 years ago for who knows how much - it was 5 years ago. I track several of my vehicles, and bleed the brakes every time just before track days. This thing has pumped gallons of brake fluid by now. It has held up great, works fine, etc.

I notice you want to also use it for a leak down tester. I was not aware this was one of it's functions. I have used an air compressor and a spark plug fitting when necessary to do compression or leak down testing.

I don't see any problems with running a vacuum on a brake system for bleeding. The racers do it, the OEMs do it, and the shops do it. It is reliable and efficient. Each to his own.

Last I checked speed bleeders cost about $8 each. I would have spent more in speed bleeders just to cover my current vehicles than if I bought two mityvacs, and that has no provisions for future vehicles. If one bike is all you bother to maintain, then it is cheaper. Again, to each his own.

I was a little hesitant to buy the mityvac, but it has turned out to be a great tool for me. I wish I would have taken the plunge 15 or 20 years ago rather than ~5. Prior to buying the mityvac, I used a two-person bleeding system. It works, but it was always a hassle to ask SWMBO to come out to the garage for non-recreational purposes. *wink*

313-Matt

I notice you want to also use it for a leak down tester. I was not aware this was one of it's functions. I have used an air compressor and a spark plug fitting when necessary to do compression or leak down testing.

Yeah, I read one of the user manuals on Mityvac's web site last night, and sort of figured that out. Since it was advertised as both a vacume and pressure tool, and it had other automotive purposes, I expected that it'd work for leak down testing too. I haven't leak tested a 4 stroke, but on the two strokes I usually make two plates, one for intake and one for exhaust, put a tire nipple for air into the intake plate to add air pressure, and jury-rig a bicycle pump and vacume gauge to pressurize the engine. Works pretty good, but I thought it'd be easier to use the Mityvac pump.

I've had a few, not sure exactly what models. Some nice brass, others plastic.

The "Phoenix Injector" is a bit more $$$, but works better as well.

http://www.phxsyss.com/

But honestly they all strike me as a PITA and not worth the time/money.

If I were to do it again, I'd get something like this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=brake+bleed&search.x=0&search.y=0

But on a bike it's just not that hard to do the old fashoned way. Easier IMHO than any of the gizmos I've tried. Speedbleeders make it even easier.

Archived