IGNORED

Tip for anyone on an extended trip - packing cubes

Deezalman

Deezalman

I've been using eBags packing cubes for years as part of my business trip routine. The cubes allow me to very quickly organize my clothing and extract items without disturbing other garments, reducing wrinkling. Well this past weekend I had an opportunity to use the RT for a work event that did not include suit and tie. So I pulled out my packing cubes and started the usual packing routine. At some point I came to the realization everything had to fit into two panniers on the RT. Top case reserved for helmet and other stuff. Low and behold, the medium sized packing cubes are a PERFECT fit inside the BMW pannier bags!! Depending how much you stuff the packing cubes, you should have no problems fitting three cubes in each bag.

I'm not here to promote the eBags brand, just happens to be the brand I've used. I have no experience with other manufacturers but assume the results would be nearly identical so buy what brand you like best.

The cubes not only work for overnight trips on a bike but work fantastic for your annual vacations. I prefer to pack a day's underwear and clothing in a single cube. Which allows me to pull out a single packing cube and have everything I intend to wear that day! The empty cube then becomes a convenient place to store yesterday's garments and underwear.

Anyway, hope someone finds benefit in the idea because I wouldn't travel any other way!

Link to one of many retailers

markgoodrich

Good tip, hadn't ever seen those things. I use smush bags, cheap giganto zip-loc things available from most discount retailers. I have to use them when on long trips two-up. You can put an amazing amount of gear in side cases and the top case. I get mine at Target, for a tiny fraction of what these cost:

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Mate-Compression-Bag-Multi-Pack/dp/B000BQSI1Q

If I ever travel solo, I may try out your bags.

Deezalman

Good tip! Will definitely check them out for extended trips. The packing cubes don't compress which limits wrinkling however when space is at a premium, compression bags are worth their salt. Thanks for sharing!

Good idea and have been using then for business trips for year. For the bike I agree with the ZipLoc concept. Been doing that for years as well and that also adds an extra layer of waterproof confidence.

Archived