IGNORED

R1100 Oil Filler Cap O-Ring Size?

Jim Moore

Jim Moore

Hi Guys,

I have a leaky o-ring in my oil filler cap on my R1100RS. It's not the top one, it's the one that goes around the insert. Many years ago I replaced one with a Viton o-ring, instead of the OEM. It worked like a champ, so I'd like to do that again. I don't remember what size o-ring to buy. Any ideas?

dirtrider

Evening Jim

Maybe-- I have a #214 size "O" ring penciled in my pocket notebook here. That is for the 1150RT but I'm pretty sure they use the same lower "O" ring.

OK, now the disclaimer-- I haven't bought a generic "O" ring for that area in probably 10 years so we are trusting my measurements/note taking 10 years ago is accurate.

Jim Moore

Thanks DR. That looks to be about the right size. I had a bunch of them at one point, but I used a few and gave the rest away.

Cele, not quite. I had a little setback last week. I might need some help early next week. You up for it?

Jim Moore

Thanks for the offer. I'm not going to have a chance to work on it until next week sometime. I'll have to let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
Evening Jim

Maybe-- I have a #214 size "O" ring penciled in my pocket notebook here. That is for the 1150RT but I'm pretty sure they use the same lower "O" ring.

OK, now the disclaimer-- I haven't bought a generic "O" ring for that area in probably 10 years so we are trusting my measurements/note taking 10 years ago is accurate.

#214 it is! thanks DR. I have a bunch of extras if anyone needs one.

foundationapps

In the short time I've had an 1100RT, I've tried everything to get that cap and / or inner o-ring to seal up. Finally spent 40.00 and ordered one of the solid aluminum units from Keith at http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories.com.

Easy install, directions are a little sketchy unless you know the arrangement. But the unit only works one way. Took the bike for a 90 mpn burn down the local interstate and tried to get it to leak. That was last week.

Absolutely no leaking, and nothing but good to say about this setup. As with any O-ring setup, the area has to be very clean and pre-oil the contact surfaces where the inner O-ring will go and oil the outer O-ring around the plug itself.

Humbly submitted.

Archived