IGNORED

Fuel Guage

BigTup

I have an '09 I bought used last November. I always fill up around 1/2 tank, but I let it run down last time out. I ran out of gas at 1/4 tank, and the on board computer showed 100 miles left. I know there are problems with the fuel guage, but thought it would just quit, and didn't realize it would give incorrect readings. I should have done the math, but didn't (7 gallons times 40 miles per equals 280, I ran out at 300). I was stuck in a narrow shoulder next to the fast lane, and I was on the Golden Gate Bridge just 10 minutes earlier. I'm thankful it didn't quit on the bridge, could have been very hairy.

Motobricker

I just bought my used 08 five months ago. It had the fuel strip replaced under warrantee a couple of years ago. Took it in last week for fuel pump recall, fuel strip replaced again. Service manager said I will replace it again before 2020 when warrantee runs out on that. I said why doesn't BMW fix the strip so they don't have to do it every other year? No response. I use the odometer.

I have an '09 I bought used last November. I always fill up around 1/2 tank, but I let it run down last time out. I ran out of gas at 1/4 tank, and the on board computer showed 100 miles left. I know there are problems with the fuel guage, but thought it would just quit, and didn't realize it would give incorrect readings. I should have done the math, but didn't (7 gallons times 40 miles per equals 280, I ran out at 300). I was stuck in a narrow shoulder next to the fast lane, and I was on the Golden Gate Bridge just 10 minutes earlier. I'm thankful it didn't quit on the bridge, could have been very hairy.

Yeah, Tup, welcome to the club of inaccurate or failing fuel gauges. I presume you know that BMW has warranted those for 12 years from the date of initial service, so you should have no problem getting yours replaced at the dealer at no charge. But ... the replacements fail, too. It's a crap shoot whether one will work or not. Just keep having the dealer replace it ...

FYI, I fill between 250-270 miles traveled. And a tip - if you get in the situation again, leaning the bike full over to the left will often get enough fuel to the fuel pump to enable you to start and get out of there.

JayJay

Same thing happened to me on my 07 (Original fuel strip) 3 weeks ago. Gauge showing a 1/4 tank when I ran out.

I will get it replaced when I go to the dealer for the wheel flange recall. I'll keep relying on my trip meter in the meantime.

Archived