IGNORED

Drive Train Free Play

BlueRidgeBoy

While adjusting my 98 RT valves I was surprised at the amount of slop in my drive train. Out of curiousity I measured it. I placed a carpenter's square on the floor behind the rear tire and made a mark on the OD of the tire. Then, with the bike in gear, I rotated the wheel as much as possible and made another mark. The distance between the two marks is 2 5/8 IN. The circumference of my worn out MEZ4 (160/60ZR18) is 79 7/16. This gives a drive train freeplay of about 12 degrees.

Is this normal for a 40k mile bike? Other results would be appreciated.

Jerry Johnston

I'd have to measure to be sure but it's about the same as my 96 with 58k miles. It's always had a lot of drive train slop.

While adjusting my 98 RT valves I was surprised at the amount of slop in my drive train. Out of curiousity I measured it. I placed a carpenter's square on the floor behind the rear tire and made a mark on the OD of the tire. Then, with the bike in gear, I rotated the wheel as much as possible and made another mark. The distance between the two marks is 2 5/8 IN. The circumference of my worn out MEZ4 (160/60ZR18) is 79 7/16. This gives a drive train freeplay of about 12 degrees.

Is this normal for a 40k mile bike? Other results would be appreciated.

Normal. The input shaft to the transmission has a spring loaded slip joint, the dogs between gears have lots of slop so you can hit your shifts, and all the gears have some back lash.

Clive Liddell

The lash is different depending on which gear you have chosen - can't remember which way, but differs a lot.

I get similar to yours in first gear on both bikes.

Archived