IGNORED

oil level warning

Jharpphoto

Jharpphoto

This AM on my commute to work I noticed something on the display that I haven't seen before. Displayed was an exclamation point in parenthesis. It disappeared when I cycled through the info switch on my 2012 RT. I know that warning indicates low oil level but there is oil visible in the sight glass and when I cycled through the info button the oil showed a check by it which I thought meant the oil level was OK. Why might I have gotten that low oil level indicated on my display?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

That is the general warning. Color of it tells you how bad it could be. Page 29ish of the manual is where that stuff starts.

Jharpphoto
That is the general warning. Color of it tells you how bad it could be. Page 29ish of the manual is where that stuff starts.

not sure what you mean about the "color of it tells you how bad it could be"

If it's red, you have a really BAD problem, 'cause that's a black & gray display...

indicates a low oil level. On my bike it's usually wrong, tends to come on when I hit the freeway after a long run at more moderate speeds, but will then go out.

Not the same as the triangular (red or yellow) warning light that calls your attention to other fault indicators.

Try this and see if it works. After verifying your oil level is within limits on the sight glass run the engine at idle. Select the oil level page. Now while sitting on the bike in neutral and idling increase the rpm's up. Try not to free rev it too high. See if the oil level check mark is still good. If the low warning comes on it may be the level sensor. I do not know how the logic is configured for this feature but give it a try. Hopefully the computer does not have to see the bike in gear or a input from the speed sensor to give you a warning.

Will Stagg

I've had that happen a couple of times. When it's getting close to time to change

oil and I'm a little low. Adding about a cup of oil brings the level to full. Most likely to occur when I'm a longs ways out from oil to add. Solution is to check oil often and top off at home. Eventually you'll stop using oil and it will become a non issue. Mine didn't stop until 10,000 miles though......

• 4 weeks later...
Tourmaster

My 12 RT displayed the yesterday and again twice today. My riders manual says the exclamation mark will be displayed along with "oil". All I get is the , all other functions and indications work normally. On 2 occasions it cleared by itself, the last one cleared by cycling the ignition. The oil level is down some but still easily visible and I have ridden previously with less oil showing on the sight glass without the RID warning. I added oil to the half full mark, we'll see what happens.

Archived