IGNORED

Didn't somebody post an article about Brookings, OR?

Zac in NV

My search-fu is failing me. I seem to remember an article to which a link was posted sometime last year. It was about Brookings, Oregon and the state of the economy and public services, etc.

My family is considering some property in the area and I wanted to refresh my memory on the article.

Any other opinions on the area and the viability of rental property are welcome.

Thanks!

Zac

My search-fu is failing me. I seem to remember an article to which a link was posted sometime last year. It was about Brookings, Oregon and the state of the economy and public services, etc.

My family is considering some property in the area and I wanted to refresh my memory on the article.

Any other opinions on the area and the viability of rental property are welcome.

Thanks!

Zac

Paging Twisties or Bullet to the courtesy phone!

szurszewski

Yes - pretty sure that was Jan.

Gist of what he posted might be summed up as, possibly not the time to buy.

That said, it's beautiful there :)

Yes. Thank you. I remember that being the gist as well. It was in interesting and well written article and I'd like to read it again.

Hi Kathy asked me to try and answer your questions and I'll fill in for Jan until he gets back to you.

We moved here about 3 years ago and love it. That said it does have it's problems. 1. If you choose to live outside of Brookings city limits you might not have adequate police protection. The county is currently dealing with a shortage of revenue to run the county. Specifically the Sheriff department will have a shortage of operating funds this year and might end up closing the jail. 2. The closest hospital is approximately 25 miles away. The closest hospital that can perform major surgeries is 2 1/2 hours away in Medford. It can be difficult to find a doctor that accepts new patients. One has to fill out an application and wait to see if a doctor will accept you as a patient. Needless to say the health care we do have costs more here than in Medford. 3. Shopping is extremely limited. 4. Housing is more expensive here than further up the coast but that might be because Brookings has the best weather. Our area is considered the "Banana Belt". It rains the least here which means more sunny days. Right now we have a shortage of rentals so if you're looking to purchase a rental property you probably won't have trouble finding tenants. If you buy outside of the city limits you need to be careful of the water situation. Try and get something with a deep well. A lot of places outside of the city are on cisterns which have their own unique set of problems and can sometimes run out of water. 5. There are few jobs here other than the saw mill and the plywood factory. Most jobs are food or hospitality service. Brookings has a large population of retired people.

After all of this it still is a fabulous place to live. I am constantly blown away by the generous, caring people that live here. This truly is a community. I hope this helps answer some of your questions. After living in southern California for over 30 years we thank our lucky stars we found this place. Not to mention we seem to be acquiring a contingent of BMWST'rs.

Zac in NV

My sister and her husband fell in love with the area a number of years ago. They were looking at some properties to serve as a vacation /part time home. They ended up buying a boat which they keep in the harbor there.

Now they're in the process of buying a house. Not sure whether it's within the city limits.

I suppose they've noticed the shortage of rentals there and are trying to convince some of us in the family that the purchase of rental property is a good idea.

I don't have the time or money to administrate or maintain a rental, but some others in my family might. I remembered your article and thought it might factor in to the desicion. Hope you don't mind that I pasted your article and sent it to them.

Thanks again.

Zac

Archived