IGNORED

Lighting

bavarian87

I rode my RT at night in the rain around town and noticed the lighting was useless and was drowned out by the glare of oncoming traffic and streetlights. I was told at the dealership that putting a 90/130w bulb in place of the RT's stock 55/60w headlight bulb would melt the housing/wiring. Has anybody put a higher wattage bulb in their RT? Also, as far as aftermarket foglights, do the PIAA 1100Xs put out enough extra light, or are the 910s so much better that they make up for the detraction of the bike's appearance do to their large size?

Hi, If you use a relay, you can safely use higher wattage bulbs in the factory headlamp. I think the voltage for the highbeam passes thru the hi/low switch itself and is the weak link.

I'm using PIAA 1100x on Martin Fabrication mounts. Check their website for pics and more info. I think it's a good compromise between being seen better by oncoming traffic and getting more light down the road. The 1100x is a very white looking light. At night the difference with and without the additonal lights is huge.

Motolights also mount down on the forks. You can upgrade to the 50w bulbs for more light. The big plus here is the replacement bulbs are much cheaper than the PIAAs. They don't quite have the intensity of the PIAAs so it is a trade off.

Here's a pic of the Martin brackets like mine.

645917-martin-r11rt.jpg.1d71939468694c339166cfc090465266.jpg

I was thinking of getting a headlamp relay harness for my '99 RT. Jim Davis, who operates Eastern Beaver Company makes them. The link is http://easternbeaver.com Some of the guys run PIAA 1100x or Motolights down low and those big monsters up on top of the mirrors-talk about lighting up the night! I am not in good health,(fighting cancer), therefore I am hesitant about dropping $375 on lights plus the time to wire them yourself. However, I think anybody going out of their hometown needs auxillary lighting. If I do decide that I've got one good trip left in me, I will be looking at some PIAA 1100x. Has anyone out there just bought a headlamp relay harness (or upgraded to relays and did their own wiring, like on that ebbo article), upgraded the bulb, and took off on a trip someplace without any driving lamps? I would be interested in hearing any observations about that-or would that be considered suicide?

I was thinking of getting a headlamp relay harness for my '99 RT. Jim Davis, who operates Eastern Beaver Company makes them. The link is http://easternbeaver.com Some of the guys run PIAA 1100x or Motolights down low and those big monsters up on top of the mirrors-talk about lighting up the night! I am not in good health,(fighting cancer), therefore I am hesitant about dropping $375 on lights plus the time to wire them yourself. However, I think anybody going out of their hometown needs auxillary lighting. If I do decide that I've got one good trip left in me, I will be looking at some PIAA 1100x. Has anyone out there just bought a headlamp relay harness (or upgraded to relays and did their own wiring, like on that ebbo article), upgraded the bulb, and took off on a trip someplace without any driving lamps? I would be interested in hearing any observations about that-or would that be considered suicide?

Hey Wolcot, I used to have a 80/100w H4 bulb and supporting relays on an old R100. Quite a bit brighter and longer throw than the stock bulb. It was enough that I was comfortable riding at night if I had to. The forks mounted lights provide a lot of fill and would complement a high powered headlight nicely. Hope you have many many miles left in ya! thumbsup.gif

Archived